Emergent Gravity and MOND: A Comparative Analysis

In summary, Emergent Gravity and MOND are two competing theories that aim to explain the observed phenomena of galaxy rotation curves without the need for dark matter. Emergent Gravity proposes that gravity is not a fundamental force, but instead arises from the collective behavior of particles in the universe. MOND, on the other hand, suggests that Newton's laws of motion need to be modified at low accelerations, leading to a different description of gravity. While both theories have had some success in explaining the rotation curves of galaxies, there is still much debate and research being done to determine which theory is more accurate.
Gregg Goodnight
I am interested in having a dialogue with persons familiar with MOND (modified Newtonian Dynamics as proposed by Israeli physicist Mordehai Milgrom). Also, how MOND fits with Erik Vanderlinde's theory of Emergent Gravity. I am an engineer by training, but enjoy physics as a hobby. Specifically, can it be an accident that the critical acceleration where Newton's Law diverges from cosmic observations is found in both MOND and Emergent Gravity?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF, Gregg. :smile:

Have you read the threads here on the PF that discuss MOND yet? You can find them by using a PF Search (see SEARCH at the top of the thread). I think you will find lots of useful reading and links that should keep you busy for a while. Once you've looked all of that over, feel free to start a thread in the appropriate section of the forum, and post links to the reading you've been doing so far to help frame your questions.

Enjoy! :smile:

Likes Wrichik Basu