EMF related question, I'm totally stuck

• Thread starter lando45
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Emf Stuck
In summary, the conversation discusses a homework question involving a car battery with a 15.0 V emf, an internal resistance of 0.0430, and a charging current of 62.5 A. The person has tried multiple formulas to find the potential difference across the battery's terminals, but their answer is incorrect. After some discussion, it is determined that the charging voltage must be slightly higher than the sum of the battery's emf and the voltage dropped across its internal resistance. The conversation ends with the person thanking the other for their help and understanding the solution.
lando45
Hey,

I got this question in a homework from a teacher of mine:

"A car battery with a 15.0 V emf and an internal resistance of 0.0430 is being charged with a current of 62.5 A. What is the potential difference across its terminals?"

I've tried nearly every formula I know on it. EMF = IR + Ir gives me:

15.0 = (62.5 x R) + (62.5 x 0.0430)
15.0 = (62.5 x R) + 2.6875
62.5 x R = 12.3125
R = 0.197

If I then use that value in V = IR I get:

V = 62.5 x 0.197 = 12.3125

I tried that answer but it's incorrect...please, this is driving me nuts! Can anyone help me out? Does this seem like an incredibly hard question for a 16 year old?!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer would be correct if it was the BATTERY that was providing the current. But here the battery is being charged. The voltage source has to be at LEAST equal to the battery's EMF in order to charge it up.

About how many volts more than the battery's EMF do you think this charger needs to be (minimally) to charge THIS battery? (think: the chargers "push" needs to "outpush" the battery plus get over some internal something.)

Ah...so would it just be EMF of the battery (15.0 V) divided by the internal resistance of the battery (0.0430 ohms) ?

Wait I just realized that can't be right...

No.

You have already found the quantity 2.7 volts. This is the amount of potential that is dropped across the internal resistance with this particular charging current.

The charging voltage must be at least a little more than the sum of (EMF of battery) + (whatever voltage is dropped outside or inside the battery).

This solution involves a little trick I like to call : "addition"

Ha Ok thanks a lot for the help man, I think I understand now ! Thanks again

Related to EMF related question, I'm totally stuck

1. What is EMF and how is it related to my current problem?

EMF stands for electromagnetic field, which is a type of energy that is created by the flow of electrically charged particles. In the context of your problem, EMF may be related to the use of electronic devices or exposure to power lines, which can potentially affect your health and well-being.

2. How do I know if I am being exposed to high levels of EMF?

The best way to determine if you are being exposed to high levels of EMF is to use an EMF meter. This device measures the intensity of EMF in a given area and can help you identify potential sources of exposure. However, keep in mind that there are currently no established safety standards for EMF exposure, so it is important to use caution and limit your exposure as much as possible.

3. Can EMF exposure cause health problems?

There is still much debate and research surrounding the potential health effects of EMF exposure. Some studies have suggested a link between high levels of exposure and certain health issues, such as cancer and neurological disorders. However, more research is needed to fully understand the impact of EMF on human health.

4. How can I reduce my exposure to EMF?

Reducing your exposure to EMF can be challenging, as it is a pervasive form of energy in our modern world. However, some steps you can take include limiting the use of electronic devices, keeping a safe distance from power lines and other sources of EMF, and using shielding products to protect yourself from EMF radiation.

5. Are there any regulations or guidelines for EMF exposure?

Currently, there are no established regulations or guidelines for EMF exposure. However, some organizations, such as the World Health Organization, have recommended precautionary measures to reduce exposure to EMF. It is important to stay informed and make informed decisions about your exposure to EMF based on the available research and guidelines.