Crystal Emission: Understanding Fundamental and Harmonic Frequencies"

In summary, the conversation discusses the emission of electromagnetic radiation from a 25MHz crystal and its harmonic frequencies. It is debated whether the 2nd harmonic peak at ~50MHz is from the crystal or from other components. It is also mentioned that crystals do not emit electromagnetic waves on their own, but require an active circuit for oscillation. Non-ideal components and non-linearities can also contribute to the presence of harmonics. There is also discussion about the minimum trace length required for it to act as an antenna for electromagnetic emissions. The general consensus is that the length should be at least lambda/4.
likephysics
Say I have a 25MHz Crystal that's connected to a Microprocessor/Microcontroller or spread spectrum clock generator. Does the crystal emit Electromagnetic radiation at its fundamental frequency or it's harmonic frequencies?

I keep hearing - " I see a peak at ~50MHz, it must be the 2nd harmonic of the crystal". I just find that hard to believe. Crystal has a sine wave output, so no harmonics unlike a square wave.
Any EMC experts care to add your 2 cents.

Engineering news on Phys.org
likephysics said:
Say I have a 25MHz Crystal that's connected to a Microprocessor/Microcontroller or spread spectrum clock generator. Does the crystal emit Electromagnetic radiation at its fundamental frequency or it's harmonic frequencies?

I keep hearing - " I see a peak at ~50MHz, it must be the 2nd harmonic of the crystal". I just find that hard to believe. Crystal has a sine wave output, so no harmonics unlike a square wave.
Any EMC experts care to add your 2 cents.

2nd harmonic components would generally be from duty cycle issues. How far down from the fundamental is the 2nd harmonic component? How are you making these measurements?

It's common for fundamental mode oscillators to overtone in the 3rd harmonic on startup, but after startup, there generally is not much harmonic content (at the input side of the oscillator gate -- the waveform gets squared up a bit at the output of the gate, and hence you will get some odd harmonic content there).

Also, could it be emissions from the device interfaced to the crystal? I believe the processor or clock generator would be converting the sine wave to a square wave at some point. It is not uncommon for processors to give off emissions at some harmonic of their clock frequency.

Crystals do not emit electromagnetic waves.

Their oscillations are a mechanical phenomenon.

The mechanical oscillation between the faces alters the capacitance of the crystal. This change in capacitance can be used within an electrical circuit to turn the mechanical oscillation into an electrical one.

The electrical oscillation can then be broadcast as an electromagnetic wave via a suitable antenna.

likephysics said:

An xtal sitting alone all by itself will not oscillate. In order to use an xtal as an oscillator you need an active circuit with a proper positive feedback path. Both of these elements will determine how the xtal will oscillate.

You can have a case of pure output sine wave oscillator up to a certain point. Beyond that point there will always be non-ideal stuff present due to non-ideal components and non-linearly that creates those harmonics.

You can have a case of a square wave oscillator, which ideally should be a sum of odd order sine harmonics, but because of the non-linearities present in the circuit, even order harmonics could be present as well. But these will not make a square wave into its second harmonic unless you design the oscillator really bad. That eventually leads to a comb generator, where the xtal is used in such as way as to generate nth order harmonics up to like 500 or more.

mdjensen22 said:
Also, could it be emissions from the device interfaced to the crystal? I believe the processor or clock generator would be converting the sine wave to a square wave at some point. It is not uncommon for processors to give off emissions at some harmonic of their clock frequency.

It could be, but not at 50MHz. The processor or clock gen output is square wave output. So Only odd harmonics, whereas 50MHz is even harmonic of base freq.

berkeman said:
2nd harmonic components would generally be from duty cycle issues. How far down from the fundamental is the 2nd harmonic component? How are you making these measurements?

Measured in an Anachoic chamber.

One more EMC question - what should the min length of the trace be to act as an Antenna?
Lambda/4?
Does it have to be lambda/4 at least or can it be lesser?

What is emission from a crystal?

Emission from a crystal refers to the release of energy in the form of light or electromagnetic radiation from a crystal structure.

What causes emission from a crystal?

Emission from a crystal is caused by the recombination of excited electrons and holes within the crystal lattice. When an electron transitions from a higher energy state to a lower energy state, it releases energy in the form of light.

What factors affect the emission from a crystal?

The emission from a crystal is affected by factors such as the crystal's composition, structure, and impurities. Additionally, external factors such as temperature, pressure, and electric fields can also influence the emission.

What is the difference between spontaneous and stimulated emission from a crystal?

Spontaneous emission occurs when an electron transitions to a lower energy state on its own, releasing energy in the form of light. Stimulated emission, on the other hand, occurs when an external energy source causes an excited electron to transition to a lower energy state, releasing energy in the form of light that is in phase with the external source.

How is emission from a crystal used in technology?

Emission from a crystal is used in various technologies such as lasers, LEDs, and solar cells. The ability to control and manipulate the emission from crystals has led to advancements in telecommunications, medical imaging, and energy production.