Emotional connection to commercial characters

• Thread starter Mathnomalous
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Connection
In summary, most commercial characters from childhood have no emotional connection for the person writing this summary. There are a couple that are disliked for the caveats mentioned, and one for a toothpaste ad that is particularly irritating.
Mathnomalous
Do any of currently have or had some kind of emotional connection to commercial characters from your childhood (or adulthood)? For example, you buy Frosted Flakes because you feel emotionally "attached" to Tony the Tiger or you smoke Marlboro because you emotionally "connect" with the Marlboro Man?

I do not think I retained any connection to a commercial character, if I ever had them in the first place.

Physics news on Phys.org
I do. I ignore most of them, but there are some who I adore and some who I would gladly shoot on sight.

Mathnomalous said:
Do any of currently have or had some kind of emotional connection to commercial characters from your childhood (or adulthood)? For example, you buy Frosted Flakes because you feel emotionally "attached" to Tony the Tiger or you smoke Marlboro because you emotionally "connect" with the Marlboro Man?

I do not think I retained any connection to a commercial character, if I ever had them in the first place.

Nothing comes to mind for me. I do feel an emotional connection to some products through familial association. For example, when I was very young, I always knew I could count on Grandma for an Eskimo Pie. Granny always had Carnation Malted Milk [for a malted milkshake]. Since I don't normally buy either product, it is impossible to think of, or esp, eat either of them without thinking of the respective grandmother; and without feeling like I'm ten-years old again, just for a moment. For that reason there is a unique fondness for these products.

Danger said:
I do. I ignore most of them, but there are some who I adore and some who I would gladly shoot on sight.

Tony the Tiger, right?

Tony: "They are grrrrrrrreaaaat!"
Yeah, Tony, they are great for early onset diabetes, jerk.*

*Based on my unscientific opinion. Please do not sue me, Mr. Tony the Tiger.

Mathnomalous said:
Tony the Tiger, right?

Actually, Tony died a couple of years back, in his 80's or 90's. I can't remember his real name right now, but his replacement has the voice pretty much nailed.
Usually, it's the ads themselves that piss me off rather than the performers, although there have been a couple of notable exceptions. The ones that never fail to get my goat are Yank drug ads. I never had to put up with those before I got cable. They tag so many caveats on the end that the basic message you're left with is, "there is a small possibility that you might notice some infinitesimal improvement from this, if by unlikely chance it doesn't kill you first."
The other current one is for toothpaste. "As a professional photographer, I recommend..." while the printing right under her stupid grin says "Actress—not a real professional photographer." :rolleyes:
Oh yeah, and one featuring an obviously CGI car with a notice that it's a professional driver on a closed course. There's no damned driver at all, unless you count wiggling a mouse around as driving.

1. How do companies use emotional connection to commercial characters to sell their products?

Companies use emotional connection to commercial characters to create a positive association with their brand and products. By using relatable and likable characters in their commercials, they aim to evoke emotions in their audience, making them more likely to remember and purchase their products.

2. What makes a commercial character emotionally appealing?

A commercial character that is emotionally appealing is relatable, likable, and has a distinct personality. They should also align with the values and beliefs of the target audience, making them feel a connection with the character and the brand.

3. Can emotional connection to commercial characters have a long-term impact on consumer behavior?

Yes, emotional connection to commercial characters can have a long-term impact on consumer behavior. When consumers form an emotional bond with a commercial character, they are more likely to remember and choose that brand over others in the future.

4. Are there any potential drawbacks to using emotional connection to commercial characters?

One potential drawback is that not all consumers may relate to or connect with the character, which could lead to a disconnect with the brand. Additionally, if the character's actions or behaviors are perceived negatively, it could also reflect poorly on the brand.

5. How can companies measure the success of using emotional connection to commercial characters?

Companies can measure the success of using emotional connection to commercial characters through various metrics, such as brand awareness, customer loyalty, and sales. They can also conduct surveys and gather feedback from consumers to gauge their emotional connection with the character and the brand.