EMotor Wire Turn Calculations

In summary, the speaker is seeking assistance in building an electric motor for an eBike. They have a 24 pole stator core and are using 200C 10AWG Magnet Wire. They are unsure of how many turns are needed and are seeking help in determining the final stator core design and motor diameter. They are willing to provide any additional information necessary.
JaWa
It's been like 3 or 4 years since I've built an electric motor & I've forgotten mostly everything and need some help getting this worked out for those that don't mind.

I'm trying to build a 48V 40-60A eBike motor. I'm using 200C 10AWG Magnet Wire.

I have a 24 pole stator core. The stator core will be around 1.5" thick with a 5" outer diameter. I can expand it to around 8" diameter & 5" or so thicker and wider if needed though. I'll likely be doing coils over every 3(1" coil, 4.5" per turn wire length) or 4(1.5" coil, 6" per turn wire length), for 8 or 6 total poles.

I'm trying to figure out how many turns I'm going to need so I can determine the final stator core design & motor diameter and all.

Can someone help me with this?

I can provide any other information needed, thanks!

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Bump

1. What is the purpose of EMotor Wire Turn Calculations?

The purpose of EMotor Wire Turn Calculations is to determine the number of turns required for the wire in an electric motor in order to achieve a specific magnetic field strength and desired motor performance.

2. How do I calculate the number of turns for a specific motor?

To calculate the number of turns for a specific electric motor, you will need to know the motor's desired magnetic field strength, the length and diameter of the wire being used, and the current flowing through the wire. Using these values, you can use the formula N = (B * L)/(μ * I * A), where N is the number of turns, B is the magnetic field strength, L is the length of the wire, μ is the permeability of the wire, I is the current, and A is the cross-sectional area of the wire.

3. What factors affect the wire turn calculations for an electric motor?

There are several factors that can affect the wire turn calculations for an electric motor, including the desired motor performance, the type and size of wire being used, the current and voltage of the motor, and the desired magnetic field strength. Other factors such as the motor's design and the type of core material can also impact the wire turn calculations.

4. How accurate are EMotor Wire Turn Calculations?

The accuracy of EMotor Wire Turn Calculations depends on the accuracy of the inputs and the complexity of the motor design. It is important to use precise measurements and accurate values for parameters such as wire diameter and current to ensure the most accurate calculations.

5. Can EMotor Wire Turn Calculations be used for all types of electric motors?

While EMotor Wire Turn Calculations can be used for many types of electric motors, they may not be suitable for all types of motors. Some specialized motors may require more complex calculations that take into account additional factors such as torque and speed. It is important to consult a motor design expert for specific motor applications.