What is an encoding for Q x Q and how is it related to Cantor's zig-zag method?

• Thread starter toxi
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about finding an encoding for QxQ, or the set of rational numbers. The suggested method is using Cantor's zig-zag proof, which involves writing the positive integers along the top and left of a chart and "zigzagging" through it to create pairs of rational numbers. This method is also known as "Cantor's zig-zag". The conversation also mentions a definition of an encoding as a total injective function that maps A (a set) to the natural numbers. Overall, the conversation is discussing different approaches to finding an encoding for the set of rational numbers.
toxi
I know this would probably be in a different category but I wasn't sure.

Find an encoding for Q x Q.

I have no idea what to do for this question was we weren't even taught encodings.

any help is appreciated
thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Well, the first thing you need to do is find a definition for "encoding"- especially an encoding for a set of numbers. I suspect that such an encoding would be just a listing of the the rational numbers: 1- r1, 2- r2, etc. Have you seen the proof that the set of rational numbers is countable?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, according to my notes an encoding is "a total injective function C: A->N into the natural numbers. For a in A, the number c(a) is called the code of A"

I think I've seen the proof you're talking about, its the one done by Cantor's diagonalization right ?

No, "Cantor's Diagonalization" is a proof that the set of all real numbers is not countable. I was thinking of the proof where we right the positive integers along the top of a chart, another copy of the integers vertically along the left and, where n along the top meets m along the left, write the fraction m/n. Now "zigzag" throught that chart. To extend it to QxQ, write the positive integers along the top, the positive integers along the left and, where column m and row n intersect, write (rm, rn[/b]) where rn is the rational number "encoded" by m and rn is the rational number "encoded" by n. Now zigzag through that.

HallsofIvy said:
No, "Cantor's Diagonalization" is a proof that the set of all real numbers is not countable. I was thinking of the proof where we right the positive integers along the top of a chart, another copy of the integers vertically along the left and, where n along the top meets m along the left, write the fraction m/n. Now "zigzag" throught that chart. To extend it to QxQ, write the positive integers along the top, the positive integers along the left and, where column m and row n intersect, write (rm, rn[/b]) where rn is the rational number "encoded" by m and rn is the rational number "encoded" by n. Now zigzag through that.

Apparently that's Cantor's zig-zag (which is the one I meant to say in the previous post)
Anyway, I found this on the internet
http://www.homeschoolmath.net/teaching/rational-numbers-countable.php

Do you mean that for instance (r4, r4) or 5,6,7 whatever number it is, is the encoding I've been looking for ?

toxi said:
Apparently that's Cantor's zig-zag (which is the one I meant to say in the previous post)
Anyway, I found this on the internet
http://www.homeschoolmath.net/teaching/rational-numbers-countable.php

Do you mean that for instance (r4, r4) or 5,6,7 whatever number it is, is the encoding I've been looking for ?
First, I don't know what you mean by "(r4, r4)". Is there any significance that the both rs have subscript 4? Second, you were the one who told me "Yeah, according to my notes an encoding is "a total injective function C: A->N into the natural numbers. For a in A, the number c(a) is called the code of A". If I understand what you are saying correctly, yes, that is the "encoding".

1. What is Encoding Q x Q?

Encoding Q x Q is a method used in research and data analysis to code and categorize qualitative data. It involves assigning numerical codes to qualitative data in order to organize and analyze it.

2. Why is Encoding Q x Q important in research?

Encoding Q x Q is important because it allows researchers to analyze large amounts of qualitative data more efficiently and accurately. It also helps to identify patterns and themes within the data.

3. How is Encoding Q x Q different from other data coding methods?

Unlike other data coding methods, Encoding Q x Q specifically focuses on qualitative data. It uses a specific set of codes to categorize and analyze data, rather than a more general coding system.

4. What are some tips for effectively using Encoding Q x Q?

Some tips for effectively using Encoding Q x Q include creating a coding guide, using multiple coders for reliability, and regularly checking and updating codes as needed.

5. Are there any limitations to using Encoding Q x Q?

Like any research method, there are limitations to using Encoding Q x Q. These may include potential bias in coding, difficulty in capturing the complexity of qualitative data, and the time and effort required for coding. It's important to consider these limitations when using this method.