Finite Dimensionality of Endomorphism Ring in Simple Modules?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between a finite dimensional C-algebra R and a simple R-module S. The main question is why End_R(S) is finite dimensional as a C-vector space. It is explained that End_R(S) is a subspace of End_C(S) and can be shown to be one-dimensional using Schur's lemma. It is also mentioned that S is finitely generated over R and there are only finitely many isomorphism classes of simple R-modules.
Bleys
Let R be a finite dimensional C-algebra (C=Complex numbers) and S a simple R-module. Why does it follow that [itex]End_{R}(S)[/itex] is also finite dimensional (as C-vector spaces, I'm guessing)? I'm not really sure how to construct a basis for it using one of S, and there's probably another reason for it (is end(S) embedded in S or something?)

Physics news on Phys.org
Is S finitely generated over R (hence C)?

yes; I have this result
"For a finite dimensional C-algebra R, there are only finitely many isomorphism classes of simple R-modules and they are finite dimensional"

Perfect. So S is a finite-dimensional C-vector space and End_R(S) is a subspace of End_C(S), hence is finite-dimensional over C. In fact, you can use Schur's lemma to show that End_R(S) is one-dimensional.

ah of course, I didn't think of the fact End_{R}(S) is a subspace of End_{C}(S).
I'm actually going through Schur's Lemma's proof to show End_R(S) is isomorphic to C but this was the detail I wasn't understanding.

Thank you, morphism!

What is an endomorphism ring of a module?

The endomorphism ring of a module is a ring that consists of all endomorphisms (i.e. linear transformations that map a module to itself) of the module. It is denoted by End(M), where M is the module.

What is the significance of the endomorphism ring of a module?

The endomorphism ring of a module is an important tool in studying the structure of the module. It helps determine the module's submodules, factor modules, and other properties. It also plays a crucial role in the classification of modules.

How is the endomorphism ring of a module related to the endomorphism ring of its dual module?

The endomorphism ring of a module M is isomorphic to the endomorphism ring of its dual module M*, which consists of all linear transformations from M* to itself. This isomorphism is given by the map that sends an endomorphism of M to its dual map in M*.

What are some examples of endomorphism rings of modules?

Some examples of endomorphism rings of modules include the ring of linear transformations on a vector space, the ring of square matrices with entries in a field, and the ring of endomorphisms of an abelian group.

How is the endomorphism ring of a module related to the endomorphism ring of its direct sum?

The endomorphism ring of a direct sum of modules is isomorphic to the direct product of the endomorphism rings of the individual modules. This isomorphism is given by the map that sends an endomorphism of the direct sum to the tuple of its restrictions to each individual module.