Calculating Energy and Time for a Proton Crossing the Milky Way Galaxy

In summary, a proton takes 5 minutes to cross the Milky Way galaxy in its own frame of reference, which is about 10^{5} light-years in diameter. To find the approximate energy of the proton in electronvolts, use the equations E = \gamma mc^{2} and p = \gamma mv, with the given mass of the proton and the conversion rate of 1eV = 1.602 x 10^{-19} J*s. Additionally, the proton would take approximately 5 minutes to cross the galaxy according to an observer in the galaxy's reference frame, which can be calculated using the time dilation equation and proper length divided by the time observed by a stationary observer in the Milky Way. The velocity
jk4

Homework Statement

In its own frame of reference, a proton takes 5 min to cross the Milky Way galaxy, which is about [tex]10^{5}[/tex] light-years in diameter.
(a) What is the approximate energy of the proton in electronvolts?
(b) About how long would the proton take to cross the galaxy as measured by an observer in the galaxy's reference frame?

mass of proton = [tex]1.6726 x 10^{-27} kg[/tex]
[tex]1eV = 1.602 x 10^{-19} J*s[/tex]

Homework Equations

It says the problem belongs to the "Energy and Momentum" section, so here are those equations:
[tex]E = \gamma mc^{2}[/tex]
[tex]p = \gamma mv[/tex]
[tex]E^{2} = (mc^{2})^{2} + p^{2}c^{2}[/tex]
[tex]E = pc[/tex] (Massless particle, probably doesn't apply to this problem)

The Attempt at a Solution

well, I'm pretty confused. I calculated that the distance of [tex]10^{5}[/tex] light-years corresponds to about [tex]9.45 x 10^{15} m[/tex]. But I can't figure out how to proceed from here.
I'm not necessarily looking for an answer but a little help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm no expert so take this with a grain of salt.
Write down the time dilation equation. Then use
[tex]v={L\over \Delta t^'}[/tex] i.e. proper length divided time observed by a stationary observer in the Milky way.
Putting these together you can get the speed. The rest is gravy.
As a guide, I get the order of 10^3 in joules for the energy. That sucker is flyin.

Good luck.

Last edited:
The galaxies velocity in the proton's rest frame is
v/c=(L/5 min)/gamma (a dimensionless number).
Use this equation to find gamma. Be careful with the numbers
The proton's energy is E=\gamma mc^2. Use mc^2=931 MeV for a proton.
The time to cross the galaxy in its rest frame is T=gamma X 5 min.

1. How is energy calculated for a proton crossing the Milky Way Galaxy?

To calculate the energy of a proton crossing the Milky Way Galaxy, the equation E=mc² is used, where E is the energy, m is the mass of the proton, and c is the speed of light. The mass of the proton is known, and the speed of light is a constant value. Therefore, the energy can be easily calculated.

2. What is the speed of a proton crossing the Milky Way Galaxy?

The speed of a proton crossing the Milky Way Galaxy can vary depending on its location and the forces acting upon it. However, on average, it is estimated that a proton can travel at speeds of up to 99.99% of the speed of light, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second.

3. How long does it take for a proton to cross the Milky Way Galaxy?

The time it takes for a proton to cross the Milky Way Galaxy depends on its speed and the distance it needs to travel. Using the estimated speed of a proton, it would take around 100,000 years for a proton to cross the Milky Way Galaxy, which has a diameter of about 100,000 light years.

4. Can energy and time be calculated for other particles crossing the Milky Way Galaxy?

Yes, the same principles and equations can be applied to calculate the energy and time for other particles crossing the Milky Way Galaxy. However, the values may vary depending on the mass and speed of the particle.

5. What are the practical applications of calculating energy and time for a proton crossing the Milky Way Galaxy?

Understanding the energy and time required for a proton to cross the Milky Way Galaxy can provide insights into the structure and dynamics of our galaxy. It can also aid in the development of faster and more efficient propulsion systems for space travel.