Why is the energy decreasing in my atom simulation?

• Thread starter ebrattr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, the speaker is trying to simulate a long chain of atoms with restricted bond and angle lengths. They are using the classical Runge-Kutta fourth order method and a Lennard-Jones Potential for interactions between atoms. However, they are facing a problem where the energy is continuously decreasing and they are unsure of how to keep it constant. After discussing the possibility of velocity dependent forces and a rotating frame, it is revealed that the issue was due to an error in the computation of the total energy.
ebrattr
I'm trying to simulate a long chain of atoms where I restrict the bond (length between two consecutive atoms) and angle (between three consecutive atoms). Therefore, if I want to simulate N particles, then I have N+3 degrees of freedom. The only interactions between atoms is due to Lennard-Jones Potential.
I am using the classical Runge-Kutta fourth order method to integrate the equations. But, I got that the energy is always decreasing and then it keeps constant, like in the picture shown below.

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/3757/examplexy.png

What can I do to keep constant the energy ?

What is happening ? I'm new with the topic. My english is not that good, so if you do not understand something, just let me know it.
Thanks !

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What velocity dependent forces do you have exactelly? If you have Coriolis forces then you are obviously in a rotating frame. To get energy conservation in a rotating frame you have to include the potential energy due to the inertial centrifugal force. If the angular velocity of the frame is not constant, you can't expect energy to be consereved at all.

A.T. said:
What velocity dependent forces do you have exactelly? If you have Coriolis forces then you are obviously in a rotating frame. To get energy conservation in a rotating frame you have to include the potential energy due to the inertial centrifugal force. If the angular velocity of the frame is not constant, you can't expect energy to be consereved at all.

No, I don't have velocity dependent forces, because my only forces are due to a Lennard-Jones Potential. I was a little confused. What I do really have is a rotating frame. Got it. I was not including the potential energy due to inertial centrifugal force. I was just including, kinetick energies ([itex] \dfrac{1}{2}mv^2 [/itex]) and the corresponding LJ potential. However, these velocities are the global velocities of the particles.

Thanks !

Last edited:
ebrattr said:
No, I don't have velocity dependent forces, because my only forces are due to a Lennard-Jones Potential. I was a little confused. What I do really have is a rotating frame.
In a rotating frame you have inertial forces too (Centrifugal and Coriolis). And Coriolis is velocity dependent, but it is not doing any work, so it is irrelevant for Energy conservation.
ebrattr said:
However, these velocities are the global velocities of the particles.
To make an energy analysis you have to transform every thing into one frame.

Can you post your program?

Yeah, I compute all the velocities to one frame, my global frame.

ebrattr said:
Yeah, I compute all the velocities to one frame, my global frame.
And that global frame is rotating?

No. It is not rotating.

DrClaude said:
Can you post your program?

Yeah, off corse. But what part ? There many lines of code.

How do you implement the constraints?

DrClaude said:
How do you implement the constraints?

By setting every positiion in terms of those coordinates I mentioned before? I don't understand the question.

I was asking about this
ebrattr said:
I'm trying to simulate a long chain of atoms where I restrict the bond (length between two consecutive atoms) and angle (between three consecutive atoms).
I took "restrict" to mean that you had constraints of the bond lengths and angles.

Do I understand correctly that you don't have an angular potential? Do you calculate the Lennard-Jones potential over all particle pairs?

DrClaude said:
I was asking about this

I took "restrict" to mean that you had constraints of the bond lengths and angles.

Do I understand correctly that you don't have an angular potential? Do you calculate the Lennard-Jones potential over all particle pairs?

Yes. I do not have an angular potential. And I calculate Lennard Jones potential over all particle pairs, except those that have an angle or a bond.

In fact, in the most simple case, with [itex] M [/itex] chains and 2 particles for every chain, I get the same thing.

In fact, can we only discuss this particular case ? To see what is going on here.

Before we get into the particulars, I have a couple more questions.

Do you use a cutoff for the LJ potential?

Have you tired changing the time step?

DrClaude said:
Before we get into the particulars, I have a couple more questions.

Do you use a cutoff for the LJ potential?

Have you tired changing the time step?

Yeah I am tired changin the time step. And I'm not using a cutoff for the LJ potential.

What is the smallest possible system you can simulate and what are the results then?

I'll try to have a look at all that tomorrow.

ebrattr said:
Forces:
[itex]
\mathbf{F}_{1}^{1}=f_{LJ}(\mathbf{r}_{1}^{2},\mathbf{r}_{2}^{2},\mathbf{r}_{1}^{1})/m
[/itex]
What are F, fLJ and m here?

A.T. said:
What are F, fLJ and m here?

[itex]F_i^j[/itex] is the resultant force over the particle [itex]i[/itex] in the [itex]j[/itex]-chain. [itex]f_{LJ}[/itex] is the corresponding magnitude.

ebrattr said:
[itex]F_i^j[/itex] is the resultant force over the particle [itex]i[/itex] in the [itex]j[/itex]-chain. [itex]f_{LJ}[/itex] is the corresponding magnitude.
The magnitude of what? And what is m?

A.T. said:
The magnitude of what? And what is m?

Mass. Magnitude of the force due to Lennard Jones potential.

ebrattr said:
Mass. Magnitude of the force due to Lennard Jones potential.
So you divide force by mass and get force again?

A.T. said:
So you divide force by mass and get force again?

Suppose I have mass of 1 kg. This not real important.

Thanks !
I have found the problem !, when I compute the Total energy, in the internal cycle, it is not [itex] k \neq j [/itex], it is instead [itex] k > j [/itex].

1. Why does the energy decrease in my atom simulation over time?

The energy in an atom simulation decreases over time due to the process of energy dissipation. This means that as the atoms in the simulation interact with each other, some of their energy is lost through collisions and other interactions. As a result, the overall energy of the system decreases.

2. Is there a way to prevent or reverse the energy decrease in my atom simulation?

Unfortunately, it is not possible to prevent or reverse the energy decrease in an atom simulation. This is because energy dissipation is a natural and unavoidable process in any system, and it cannot be reversed or stopped.

3. Does the rate of energy decrease in my atom simulation depend on the type of atoms used?

Yes, the rate of energy decrease in an atom simulation can vary depending on the types of atoms used. This is because different types of atoms have different properties and interactions, which can affect the amount of energy they lose over time.

4. How does the temperature of my atom simulation affect the energy decrease?

The temperature of an atom simulation can affect the rate of energy decrease. Higher temperatures typically lead to more collisions and interactions between atoms, resulting in a faster energy dissipation rate. Lower temperatures, on the other hand, can slow down the dissipation process.

5. Can I adjust any settings in my atom simulation to slow down the energy decrease?

While you cannot completely stop the energy decrease in an atom simulation, you can adjust certain settings to slow down the rate of dissipation. For example, reducing the temperature or increasing the size of the simulation can help to decrease the rate of energy loss. Additionally, using different types of atoms or adjusting their properties can also affect the rate of energy decrease.