Can antimatter annihilation lift 81 million tons half a mile into the air?

In summary: So if we multiplied your answer by .008 (since that's how much antimatter would be needed to lift an object 1 kilometer off the ground) then the answer would be 9.2 billion kg.
starfox07
Hey all,

Homework Statement

"Suppose that we could use the energy released
when 4 g of antimatter annihilates 4 g of
matter to lift a mass 1 km from the Earth’s
surface.
How much mass could we lift? Answer in
units of kg."

Homework Equations

e=mc^2
w=fd
f=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I was attempting to find the energy with e=mc^2 and using .004kg as the mass. Then I tried using work(energy)=force*distance and force=mass*acceleration (using gravitational potential energy) but my answer was incorrect. For the record, i answered 3.67e10 kg but no luck. I'm stumped. :(

EDIT: I think the proper way is using the potential energy equation [energy=mass*gravity*height] after I have found energy from [e=mass*speed of light^2] Is this right?

Would the total energy released be from .004kg or from .008kg of matter?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'll take a stab at it. According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antimatter_weapon the amount of energy produced by a gram of antimatter is 180 Tjoules, which is twice the amount predicted by your method. It may be since both matter and antimatter are being destroyed you must double the mass in E=mc2. Perhaps if you doubled your answer?

krausr79 said:
I'll take a stab at it. According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antimatter_weapon the amount of energy produced by a gram of antimatter is 180 Tjoules, which is twice the amount predicted by your method. It may be since both matter and antimatter are being destroyed you must double the mass in E=mc2. Perhaps if you doubled your answer?

Let me see if that works..

wohooo that's it! thanks a bunch

Interesting to note that just 4 grams of anti matter (like the weight of a pen) can move 81 million tons of *whatever* more than half a mile vertically.

Last edited:

What is energy?

Energy is the ability to do work or cause motion. It can take many forms, such as kinetic energy, potential energy, thermal energy, and electromagnetic energy.

How does energy cause motion?

When energy is transferred to an object, it can change the object's state of motion. This is because energy is related to the force acting on an object, and according to Newton's laws of motion, a force is required to cause a change in an object's motion.

What are some examples of energy causing motion?

Some examples include a car moving due to the energy from its engine, a person running due to the energy from their muscles, and a ball rolling down a hill due to the energy from gravity.

Can energy be created or destroyed?

According to the law of conservation of energy, energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system will always remain constant.

How is energy related to work?

Work is the transfer of energy from one object to another. When energy is transferred to an object, it can do work on that object, such as causing it to move. Similarly, when work is done on an object, energy is transferred to that object.