What is the energy density of sunlight on Earth and near the surface of the sun?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of energy density of sunlight using the solar constant and other relevant equations. The person expressing frustration and seeking help suggests using Planks formula or Raleight Jeanes law to solve the problem. The solution for part a involves using the Stefan-Boltzman equation, while for part b, the solar luminosity and radius of the sun are used. The final calculations result in the energy density of sunlight on Earth and near the surface of the sun.
theinfojunkie
[SOLVED] Energy Density of Sunlight

Homework Statement

Use the solar constant (1350 W/m^2) to calculate the energy density of sunlight at a)Earth and b) near the surface of the sun.

Homework Equations

Stefan-Boltzman = (2pi^5)/(15(h^3)(c^2))
h=6.63x10^-34 j.s
L(solar luminosity)=4pi(D^2)S
S=1340 W/m^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know what I'm doing. I'm assuming those are the more important things to use.
I'm getting frustrated with this and really need some help. I'm trying to plug in the power per area into the stefan boltzman eq to see if I can find the answer but it isn't working.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thought about it some...

Could I use Planks formula or Raleight Jeanes law to solve this? Since the wavelength is rather large, I'm thinking I could, but I'm not sure how to apply it.

Last edited:
dR/D(lambda)=dU/d(lambda)(4/c)
du=4dR/c
integrate
u=4R/c

where R is 1350(solar constant) and gives the energy density on earth.

for part b

L=4pir^2 S(solar constant)
S=L(luminosity)/4pir(of the sun)^2
then u=4r/c where R=S

What is the energy density of sunlight?

The energy density of sunlight is the amount of energy that is present in a given area of sunlight. It is typically measured in units of watts per square meter (W/m²).

How is the energy density of sunlight calculated?

The energy density of sunlight can be calculated by dividing the total energy from the sun, known as solar irradiance, by the area of the sun's surface that is emitting the energy. This gives the average energy per unit area, or the energy density.

What factors affect the energy density of sunlight?

The energy density of sunlight can be affected by various factors such as the distance from the sun, the angle of incidence (or how directly the sunlight hits the surface), and atmospheric conditions. These factors can impact the amount of energy that reaches a particular area on Earth.

Why is the energy density of sunlight important to study?

The energy density of sunlight is important to study for a variety of reasons. It helps us understand the potential of solar energy as a renewable energy source. It also plays a role in climate and weather patterns, as well as the growth and development of plants and other organisms on Earth.

How does the energy density of sunlight compare to other sources of energy?

The energy density of sunlight is much lower than other sources of energy, such as fossil fuels. However, its abundance and potential for renewable energy make it an important area of study for scientists and researchers. Additionally, advancements in technology have made it more efficient and cost-effective to harness solar energy as a source of power.