Energy Dissipation Through Various Density

In summary, the conversation is about the nature of gravity and its effects on objects. The speaker is interested in determining the rate at which an object's energy is lost in opposition to gravity, and whether this rate changes on different planets with varying masses. They also mention an experiment they have devised to study the dissipation rate of energy leaving the surface of a massive body, with the ultimate aim of determining the existence of "Space Density." There is also a discussion about the time it takes for an object to travel a certain distance on different planets and whether the force opposing the object's direction is a vector that decreases its energy or if the amount of space present is actually double the measured distance.
Timothy Jones
I haven't had the pleasure of being on this site as much as I should be...pardon that. Either way, on with it then:

I would like to begin this article with a question regarding the actual nature of gravity. Relative to massive bodies, it seems that gravity exerts a force that in general, neglecting centripetal effects, causes bodies to fall directly towards the center of the massive object.
However, at present, I'm not looking to determine the rate at which an object would fall. (G) but, but rather the rate at which energy associated with an object is lost in opposition to G, i.e. a vector acting in opposition to G. Would this be Fi+(-G)=Ff at a specific point? (I would imagine that the object would have to increase it speeds to overcome the effect of G. But in doing so would increase its energy, thus increasing its mass, thus increasing the effect of G on it...Not only that, but is G constant in all locations? Or is that constant only relevant on Earth And, if G is not constant, (I.e. in a supermassive object) then would more energy be needed to escape this increased (G)?

I'm asking this because I've devised a form of experiment that has to deal with the dissipation rate of energy as it leaves the surface of a massive body...The ultimate aim is to determine whether or not there is a such thing as "Space Density"...

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm kind of going out on a very long limb to play on: d=rt
If an object is traveling a distance of 5000km from the surface of the earth(neglecting gravitation) at 500km/h, then it follows that it would take 10hrs for the object to reach a height of 5000km.
However, on another planet, with a twice the mass (of similar geometric volume{possibly different composition}) , relative to the surface of that planet, we could construct a coordinate system with the orgin situated at the surface of the massive body. All measurements from the surface of the body would remain the same as those used to measure from the surface of the Earth. (I.e. The coordinate plane would use the same scale to measure km)
Returning to the original: 5000km, which we measured and the object which travels at 500km/h. It is noted then that it took this object 20hrs to travel this distance at 500km per hour...again for simplicity neglecting the effect of G on the object. (for now)
Then, am I wrong to extend the belief that either:
A) The force which acts in opposition to the object direction is a vector whose magnitude and direction causes the energy associated witht the object to decrease? Like attempting to paddle upstream?
or,
B) That the amount of space that is actually present (within the measure of segment 0-5000km) is in actuality 10000?(If we apply d=rt. (in a very general sense)

Last edited:

1. How does the density of a material affect energy dissipation?

The density of a material plays a crucial role in energy dissipation. Generally, materials with higher densities tend to dissipate energy more efficiently than materials with lower densities. This is because higher density materials have a larger number of atoms or molecules packed closely together, allowing for more interactions and collisions between them, leading to a greater dissipation of energy.

2. What is the relationship between energy dissipation and density?

The relationship between energy dissipation and density is directly proportional. This means that as the density of a material increases, so does its ability to dissipate energy. Conversely, as the density decreases, the energy dissipation capability also decreases.

3. Can energy dissipation be influenced by changing the density of a material?

Yes, energy dissipation can be influenced by changing the density of a material. By altering the density of a material, we can change its ability to dissipate energy, either increasing or decreasing it. This can be achieved through various methods, such as changing the temperature, pressure, or composition of the material.

4. How do different types of materials with varying densities dissipate energy?

Different types of materials dissipate energy differently, depending on their densities. For example, solid materials, such as metals, have a high density and tend to dissipate energy through plastic deformation, while liquids with lower densities dissipate energy through frictional forces between molecules. Gases, which have the lowest densities, dissipate energy through collisions between molecules.

5. Is there a limit to how much energy can be dissipated through various densities?

There is no specific limit to how much energy can be dissipated through various densities. However, materials with higher densities have a higher capacity for energy dissipation, and as the density decreases, the energy dissipation capability also decreases. Ultimately, the amount of energy dissipated will depend on the specific properties and structure of the material.