1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy in an elastic collision

Tags:
  1. May 2, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This is not really a homework problem, just me trying to get a ballpark number for a random problem.

Suppose I have a neutron flying at some energy and it hits an oxygen atom. If the oxygen atom, after the collision, now has 20 keV of energy, but before, had ~ 0, is there a way I can estimate the energy of the neutron for a range of collision angles? I do not want a precise number, but just an estimate

2. Relevant equations

I know some equations like conservation of energy, etc., but I am still having a hard time coming up with a ballpark solution. I tried relating the masses to the energies, but that did not seem to give a number that worked either. Neutron energy was less than oxygen energy after collision which does not make sense.

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2017 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

There is also conservation of momentum.
    The situation has essentially two unknowns: the incoming speed of the neutron and the obliqueness of the collision. So you need two facts; the resulting energy of the oxygen atom is one, so you need one more.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted