Energy in photoelectric effect

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the speed of light using Planck's constant measuring apparatus. The relevant equation is c = λν, where λ is the wavelength and ν is the frequency. The known variables are frequency, wavelength, and Planck's constant, and the unknown variable is the speed of light. The conversation also mentions the possibility of using the equation E=mc², but it is not applicable in this context.
Rishav sapahi

Homework Statement

Find the speed of light using Planck's constant measuring apparatus

Homework Equations

E=h(frequency)
E=(h*c)wavelength

The Attempt at a Solution

Can I substitute E=mc2 and use the mass of electron in the equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
The template has "all variables and given/known data", but you have nothing there...

E = mc2 has to do with the total energy of an electron, moving or at rest. Is that what you have available as a known datum ?

BvU said:
The template has "all variables and given/known data", but you have nothing there...

E = mc2 has to do with the total energy of an electron, moving or at rest. Is that what you have available as a known datum ?
No the known variables are only frequency , wavelength and Planck's constant and I have to find speed of light.

So your relevant equation should have been ##c = \lambda \; \nu ## ?
(##\nu## = frequency)

BvU said:
So your relevant equation should have been ##c = \lambda \; \nu ## ?
(##\nu## = frequency)[/QUO
Okay so I can calculate c by just measuring frequency and wavelength of a material .

As I said,

So I don't know what are known values for you.

I don't really see how Planck constant measuring apparatus can contribute in this context, unless you assume h is known and you use the instrument to determine ##\nu##. Then you still need the wavelength...

Related to Energy in photoelectric effect

1. What is the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is a phenomenon in which electrons are emitted from a material when it is exposed to light of a certain frequency. This effect was first discovered by physicist Albert Einstein in 1905.

2. What is the relationship between energy and the photoelectric effect?

The energy of the incident light is directly related to the kinetic energy of the emitted electrons in the photoelectric effect. The higher the energy of the light, the higher the kinetic energy of the emitted electrons.

3. What is the work function in the photoelectric effect?

The work function is the minimum amount of energy required to eject an electron from the surface of a material in the photoelectric effect. It varies depending on the type of material and is a characteristic property of that material.

4. How does the intensity of light affect the photoelectric effect?

The intensity of light does not affect the kinetic energy of the emitted electrons in the photoelectric effect. However, it does affect the number of electrons emitted, as a higher intensity of light means more photons are hitting the material, resulting in more electrons being ejected.

5. How does the type of material affect the photoelectric effect?

The type of material does affect the photoelectric effect, as different materials have different work functions and therefore require different amounts of energy to eject electrons. Additionally, some materials may have a higher or lower threshold frequency, which is the minimum frequency of light required to cause the photoelectric effect.