Energy levels for a different plancks constant

In summary, if Planck's constant increased by a large amount, it would change the energy levels of atoms, but the frequency of waves would not change.
bhsmith
I am writing an essay about what would happen if Planck's constant changed to a much larger number.
What I am having a hard time with is the discretization of energy levels for bound system... how would that change if Plancks constant was larger?
Thanks for all the help in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How much larger are you talking about? Seeing how Planck's constant is very small in the first place, there are many numbers bigger than it.

say, 10^20 times larger.

Well here's how I thought of it... Think about the equation: λν = c, where c is the speed of light, lambda is Planck's constant, and v is frequency (you probably already knew that).

So, if you manipulated Plank's constant, then that equation would obviously increase the speed of light and thus, change everything that quantum physicists have concluded throughout history.

Just what I thought of. Idk if that would help.

Likes qnt200
In George Gamov's book, The New World of Mr. Tompkins, Mr. Tompkins and a professor friend go on a quantum safari. The professor has increased the value of Planck's constant by a very large amount, "to about one." Here in the attached thumbnail is an excerpt from that chapter:

You should also look at the effect of Planck's constant on the atomic energy levels in atoms, assuming the electron mass is unchanged. In particular, look at the value of the Rydberg constant, and how it depends on Planck's constant.

Bob S

Attachments

• Mr Tompkins.jpg
    Mr Tompkins.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 428
Bob S said:
In George Gamov's book, The New World of Mr. Tompkins, Mr. Tompkins and a professor friend go on a quantum safari. The professor has increased the value of Planck's constant by a very large amount, "to about one." Here in the attached thumbnail is an excerpt from that chapter:

You should also look at the effect of Planck's constant on the atomic energy levels in atoms, assuming the electron mass is unchanged. In particular, look at the value of the Rydberg constant, and how it depends on Planck's constant.

Bob S

that is interesting

I have actually skimmed over that book, it's really interesting and I think it explains this stuff well. It helped me to understand the uncertainty principle and the diffraction,
but i still don't get the energy change.

Is this right...
since E=hf (f is frequency), then the Energy would increase if Planck's constant increases... but the frequency wouldn't change, correct?

I also read on another post that if Planck's constant were to increase, then the available values of E would be closer to each other.. is this correct? and if so, why?

mv²/r = e²/4πεr² (Bohr_model#Electron_energy_levels)
mv²/r = mr(v/r)² = Centrifugal force
e²/4πεr² = Electrostatic force between 2 equal charges at a distance of r
mvr = mαcr = ℏ = h/2π = e²/4πεαc = angular momentum of particle in ground state of Bohr atom​

v² = α²c² = e²/4πεrm = e²v/4πεℏ
r = ℏ/mv = 4πεℏ²/e²m
v = αc = e²/4πεℏ = velocity of particle in ground state of Bohr model (of atom with nucleus of infinite mass and charge = 1)

v is independent of the mass of the particle​

Let's start by assuming c (speed of light) is unchanged, e (charge of electron) is unchanged, and m (mass of electron) is unchanged.

We can write the Rydberg energy ERy (≈ 13.6 eV), which is the basis for all atomic energy levels, as

ERy = α2 mc2/2,

where α is the unitless fine structure constant, α = 2πe2/hc

So ERy = 2π2e4 mc2/h2c2

Because all the atomic energy level energies are proportional to the Rydberg energy, under the above constraints, all the atomic energy levels are reduced by the square of the increase in Planck's constant.

Bob S

bhsmith said:
I am writing an essay about what would happen if Planck's constant changed to a much larger number.
What I am having a hard time with is the discretization of energy levels for bound system... how would that change if Plancks constant was larger?
Thanks for all the help in advance.

from Nonlinear Quantum Mechanics, NLQM (unlike of Standard Quantum Mechanics, SQM).

...In particular, Planck's constant is no longer a constant, but a function of the number of degrees in the system. Can the above experiment be used to infer the value of Planck's `constant', by treating the micro-mirror as a mesoscopic object? The departure from the linear theory is expected to become more and more pronounced as the mass of the mirror becomes closer to Planck mass...

.... What about High energy Compton scattering using nanostructured crystal of silver or gold Where to see the effect of change in value of Planck's constant, compton scattered electron or the scattered photon?...

Last edited:
bhsmith said:
I have actually skimmed over that book, it's really interesting and I think it explains this stuff well. It helped me to understand the uncertainty principle and the diffraction,
but i still don't get the energy change.

Is this right...
since E=hf (f is frequency), then the Energy would increase if Planck's constant increases... but the frequency wouldn't change, correct?

I would assume that is correct.

Great, the part about the Rydberg constant was really helpful!
Now i have one more question...
If Planck's constant were to change by 10^20, how would that effect the square of the amplitude of the wave function?
That would be the probability density, so if i used to Time Independent Schroedinger Equation with the different Plancks Constant it would have an effect on it, but is that correct?
Would I use the Time- Independent equation?

And if the probability density changed then what effect would that have on objects?

The atomic radial wave function R1s(r) scales as the Bohr radius a0 (≈0.53 Angstroms) as a03/2. a0 is proportional to h2. So if h is increased by a factor of 1020, a0 scales by a factor 1040 and R1s(r) scales up by a factor of 1060.

<R1s(r)* | R1s(r)> scales as 10120

Why do you need to use the time-dependent Schroedinger equation?

Because macroscopic density scales inversely to a03, the density decreases by a factor of 10120. Strange world.

You should review how Planck's constant affects all the other fundamental constants. See

http://pdg.lbl.gov/2002/consonepagerpp.pdf

Bob S

1. What is Planck's constant and how does it relate to energy levels?

Planck's constant is a fundamental constant in quantum mechanics that determines the relationship between a particle's energy and its frequency. It is denoted by the symbol "h" and has a value of approximately 6.626 x 10^-34 joule seconds. It is used to calculate the energy levels of particles, such as electrons, in an atom.

2. How do energy levels change when the Planck's constant is altered?

As the value of Planck's constant changes, the energy levels of particles also change. This is because the frequency of the particle's energy is directly proportional to Planck's constant. A higher value of Planck's constant results in higher energy levels, while a lower value results in lower energy levels.

3. Are there any implications for altering Planck's constant in terms of energy levels?

Yes, altering Planck's constant can have significant implications for energy levels. For example, if the value of Planck's constant was changed to be significantly larger, it could lead to the breakdown of classical mechanics and the need for a new theory to explain the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

4. Can energy levels be calculated for different values of Planck's constant?

Yes, energy levels can be calculated for any value of Planck's constant. This is because Planck's constant is a universal constant and does not change based on the system or conditions it is being applied to. It is a fixed value that can be used to calculate energy levels in various scenarios.

5. How does Planck's constant affect the behavior of particles at the atomic level?

Planck's constant plays a crucial role in determining the behavior of particles at the atomic level. It is used to calculate the energy levels of electrons in an atom, which in turn affects how these particles interact and behave. Without Planck's constant, our understanding of the atomic world and its behavior would be incomplete.