Energy levels from the propagator

In summary, the conversation discusses the "invariant propagation function" or "propagator" and its relation to energy levels. The propagator satisfies the Schrödinger equation and the initial condition, and is usually assumed to be proportional to the step function. By inserting a complete set of energy eigenstates and taking the Fourier transform, the formula for the propagator is obtained. Setting x=x' and integrating over x results in a trace over the retarded operator in energy representation.
PGaccount
I would like to get some information on this topic. It is not discussed in many places, so if any members here know about it, i would be interested in a brief explanation. Or any books or online documents where it is discussed.

D is the "invariant propagation function" or the "propagator". I have read somewhere that

Tr D = 1/(E - E1) + 1/(E - E2) + ...

So the energy levels are poles in the trace of the propagator.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I assume the Hamiltonian is not explicitly time-dependent. Then the propgator
$$D(t-t',x,x')=\langle x|\exp[-\mathrm{i} \hat{H} (t-t')]|x' \rangle.$$
It fullfills the Schrödinger equation,
$$\mathrm{i} \partial_t D(t-t',x-x')=\hat{H} D(t-t',x-x')$$
with the initial condition
$$D(0^+,x,x')=\delta(x-x').$$
Usually you need the retarded propgator (for non-relativistic QM!), i.e., you assume ##D(t-t',x,x') \propto \Theta(t-t')##.

Now insert a complete set of energy eigenstates,
$$D(t-t',x,x')=\sum_{n} \langle x|u_n \rangle \langle u_n \exp[-\mathrm{i} \hat{H} (t-t')]|x' \rangle = \sum_n u_n(x) u_n^*(x') \exp[-\mathrm{i} E_n(t-t')].$$
Now take the formal Fourier transform wrt. ##t##. To make it consistent with the retardation condition you have to set ##E_n=E_n-\mathrm{i}0^+##. Then you get
$$\tilde{D}(E,x,x')=\sum_n u_n(x) u_n^*(x') \frac{1}{E-E_n+\mathrm{i} 0^+}.$$
Now setting ##x=x'## and integrating over ##x##, using that ##\langle u_n|u_{n} \rangle=1## to your formula (with the little addition concerning how to treat the poles!):
$$\int_{\mathbb{R}} \mathrm{d} x \tilde{D}(E,x,x)=\sum_n \frac{1}{E-E_n+\mathrm{i}0^+}.$$
Formally you can think of the integral as a trace over the retarded operator in energy representation.

Likes aaroman, DarMM and PGaccount

What is the propagator in relation to energy levels?

The propagator is a mathematical tool used in quantum mechanics to calculate the probability of a particle transitioning from one energy level to another.

How does the propagator calculate energy levels?

The propagator uses the Schrödinger equation to calculate the probability amplitude of a particle transitioning from one energy level to another over a given time interval.

What factors affect the energy levels calculated by the propagator?

The energy levels calculated by the propagator can be affected by the potential energy of the system, the mass of the particle, and the time interval over which the transition is occurring.

Can the propagator be used to calculate energy levels for complex systems?

Yes, the propagator can be used to calculate energy levels for any quantum system, regardless of its complexity. However, the calculations may become more difficult for highly complex systems.

What are some practical applications of using the propagator to calculate energy levels?

The propagator is commonly used in fields such as quantum chemistry and solid-state physics to study the behavior of particles and systems at the atomic and subatomic level. It is also used in the development of new technologies, such as quantum computing and nanotechnology.