Energy losses in cables: What is the ohmic loss?

In summary, the conversation discusses the parameters of 2 cables with a cross sectional area of 790 mm^2 and a voltage of 450 kV. The maximum power that can be transmitted through these cables is 700 MW, and their length is 580 km. Using the formula P(ohmic)=R (cable) x I^2 and assuming a resistivity of 1.67 microohmcm, the question asks for the ohmic loss. The conversation also mentions an issue with the value of P (ohmic) being higher than P (max) when using a different formula, but it is unclear due to missing information.
Suziii
having 2 cables of 790 mm^2 cross sectional area and voltage of 450 kV. the maximum power is 700 MW and the length of cables 580 km. Assuming the resistivity of the conductor is 1.67microohmcm. then what is the ohmic lose?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Suziii! Welcome to PF! :wink:

Show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

Thanks a lot.

I tried to find the ohmic power by the following formula: P(ohmic)=R (cable) x I^2 where R is the resistance and I the current.Then I divided the value for P (ohmic) and for P (max). however the problem is that by doing this I am getting higher value for P (ohmic) than for P (max) which should not be the case.

Hi Suziii! :smile:

(have an ohm: Ω and a mu: µ and try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)
Suziii said:
I tried to find the ohmic power by the following formula: P(ohmic)=R (cable) x I^2 where R is the resistance and I the current.Then I divided the value for P (ohmic) and for P (max). however the problem is that by doing this I am getting higher value for P (ohmic) than for P (max) which should not be the case.

I don't understand … I isn't given in the question :confused:

(did you use V2R instead of V2/R ?)

anyway, please show your actual calculations in future :wink:

Ohmic loss, also known as resistive loss, is the energy lost in a cable due to the resistance of the conductor. In other words, as electricity flows through the cable, some of the energy is converted into heat due to the resistance of the material.

In this scenario, the ohmic loss can be calculated using the formula P=I^2R, where P is the power loss, I is the current, and R is the resistance. To find the resistance, we can use the formula R=rho*L/A, where rho is the resistivity of the conductor, L is the length of the cable, and A is the cross-sectional area.

So, for our given values, the resistance of each cable would be:

R = (1.67 x 10^-6 ohm-cm) * (580,000 m) / (790 mm^2 * 10^-6 m^2/mm^2) = 0.0123 ohm

Now, we can calculate the current flowing through each cable using the power and voltage values:

I = P/V = 700 MW / (450 kV * 1000) = 1,556 A

Finally, we can plug these values into the formula for power loss to find the ohmic loss for each cable:

P = (1,556 A)^2 * 0.0123 ohm = 29,893 W or 29.9 kW

Therefore, the total ohmic loss for the two cables would be 59.8 kW. This means that about 59.8 kW of energy is lost as heat due to the resistance of the cables, resulting in a slightly lower amount of power reaching the intended destination. This loss can be minimized by using materials with lower resistivity and by keeping the length and cross-sectional area of the cables as low as possible.

What causes energy losses in cables?

Energy losses in cables are caused by a number of factors, including resistance, capacitance, and inductance. Resistance is the main contributor to energy losses, as it results in the conversion of electrical energy into heat. Capacitance and inductance also contribute to energy losses by storing and releasing energy, which can lead to inefficiencies in the cable.

How do energy losses affect the performance of cables?

Energy losses can have a significant impact on the performance of cables. They can cause a decrease in the amount of electrical energy that reaches the end of the cable, resulting in a lower voltage and potential power loss. Additionally, energy losses can cause heating in the cable, which can lead to damage and reduced lifespan.

Can energy losses be reduced in cables?

While energy losses in cables cannot be completely eliminated, they can be reduced through various methods. Using materials with lower resistance, such as copper instead of aluminum, can help reduce energy losses. Additionally, proper cable design and installation techniques can also help minimize energy losses.

What are the consequences of high energy losses in cables?

High energy losses in cables can have several consequences, including increased energy costs, reduced efficiency, and potential damage to the cable. In some cases, high energy losses can also lead to power outages and safety hazards.

How do I measure energy losses in cables?

Energy losses in cables can be measured using a variety of techniques, including power loss calculations, voltage and current measurements, and thermal imaging. It is important to consult a professional or refer to industry standards when measuring energy losses in cables to ensure accurate results.