Question about Transmission Line Losses

In summary, the power loss on a cable is given by the equation Ploss = P^2 * R / V^2, where R is the resistivity of the cable material multiplied by its length and divided by its cross-sectional area. The length of the power loss is not a fixed value, as it depends on the physical properties of the cable. However, the power loss can be calculated by using the voltage drop across the cable and the resistance of the cable. This power loss is constant as long as the voltage remains constant. The duration of the power loss does not affect the amount of power lost, but the energy loss will vary depending on the duration.
Techterp
Hi there,

If I'm using the equation P_loss = P^2 * R / V^2 to calculation the power lost on a cable, where R = p(resistivity) * L(length) / A(cross sectional area), then how long is this power loss for exactly?

Thanks,
Sydney

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think the equation "shakes out" to just Ploss = I2 * R

What I do not understand is "then how long is this power loss"

Where did you find this equation as Windadct said you should have:

$$P_{loss} = I^2 * R$$

Or:

$$P_{loss} =\frac {V^2} R $$

Note that this voltage is the voltage drop accros the transmission line. Than if you know R and the copper section you could calculate the length of the cable for example. There is no such thing as the length of the power loss. The losses that exists on a transmission line are depending on the physical properties of the line hence the equation you wrote:

$$R = \rho * \frac l a$$

For this reason energy companies transform the voltage up so the current that flows thru the cable will be lower (the transported power is constant in this case ##S = U*I## ) and they can use smaller (thinner cables). This is easier for practical use.

Techterp said:
Hi there,

If I'm using the equation P_loss = P^2 * R / V^2 to calculation the power lost on a cable, where R = p(resistivity) * L(length) / A(cross sectional area), then how long is this power loss for exactly?

Thanks,
Sydney

When I was an undergrad I was confused by this too. power is instantaneous.
I guess the actual answer to your question is however long that voltage is held over the wire!

That said this might help you:

P = J/s

power is equal to one joule (a unit of energy) per second (a unit of time)

Is there confusion concerning how LONG the transmission line is in actual length? If not i would have to simply agree with everyone who had replied so far.

The shaking out

Ploss = (P2 * R) / V2 = ( ( V * I ) 2 * R )/ V2 = (V2 * I2 * R )/ V2 = I2 * R

So you can start with the Power at the source and drop out the V, and be left with current flow.

Likes ElectricRay
Windadct said:
The shaking out

Ploss = (P2 * R) / V2 = ( ( V * I ) 2 * R )/ V2 = (V2 * I2 * R )/ V2 = I2 * R

So you can start with the Power at the source and drop out the V, and be left with current flow.

Ok clear Windadct I see now where the formula from the OP comes from. Thanks!

Techterp said:
Hi there,

Whatever length you plug in...unless I'm misunderstanding your question...

If by "power loss “you meant actually "a power" it does not depend on duration. Considering
the load power flowing through conductor is constant and supplied voltage it will be constant
the power loss will be n* I^2*R [n=2 for single phase and 3 for three-phase].
If by "power loss “you meant actually "energy loss" it does depend on duration.
W=Ploss*t [or better W=integral(ploss*dt)].
The power is measured in watts[W] and energy in J[Joules]- or kWh[kilowatt-hour]for instance.
The conductor resistance depends on some factors as temperature-and if it is about a.c. current also on skin effect and proximity effect.
In a transient heating process the heat produced by conductor losses-for high voltage cable there are insulation losses also, shield losses and armature losses-will determine the conductor temperature rise and only a part of the losses will be evacuated.
The evacuated power depends on conductor temperature and will rise accordingly.
Now since the conductor temperature depends on power losses and heat evacuation in a steady state the power losses have to be equal to the evacuated power and then the conductor temperature will be steady [and maximum].The evacuated power-what it is called "cooling power” depends on conductor temperature, ambient temperature-usually air or underground-and the thermal resistance of the insulation and other sheathes and jackets, conduits and so on up to free air or earth. Also depends on other heat sources from vicinity-usually other cables.

1. What are transmission line losses?

Transmission line losses refer to the amount of power that is lost during the transmission of electricity through a power line. These losses occur due to factors such as resistance, capacitance, and inductance in the transmission line.

2. What causes transmission line losses?

Transmission line losses are primarily caused by the resistance of the conductors used in the power line. This resistance leads to the conversion of electrical energy into heat, resulting in a loss of power. Other factors that contribute to transmission line losses include the capacitance and inductance of the line and the quality of the insulating materials.

3. How do transmission line losses affect the efficiency of power transmission?

Transmission line losses directly affect the efficiency of power transmission. The higher the losses in a transmission line, the lower the efficiency of power transmission. This can result in higher energy costs for consumers and can also lead to voltage drops and power outages.

4. What are some methods to reduce transmission line losses?

There are several methods that can be used to reduce transmission line losses. These include using larger conductors with lower resistance, improving the quality of insulating materials, and using techniques such as bundling conductors to reduce the effective resistance of the line. Additionally, implementing advanced technologies such as superconductors can greatly reduce transmission line losses.

5. How can transmission line losses be calculated and measured?

Transmission line losses can be calculated using mathematical equations that take into account the properties of the transmission line, such as the resistance, capacitance, and inductance. These calculations are typically done by engineers and can vary depending on the specific characteristics of the power line. To measure transmission line losses, specialized equipment such as power meters and line loss analyzers are used to measure the power at different points along the line and calculate the amount of loss.