Energy needed to deform metal sheets

• Thread starter liquidFuzz
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I'm doing some calculations on deforming of metal sheets. I have a formula for calculating the force needed to bend metal sheets. Does anyone have suggestions on where I can find more information? What I would like to end up with a way of calculating the force needed to deform metal sheets such that they reach plastic deformation.

Thanks!

Answers and Replies

I've been 'googling' too but more in the line of energy deformation metal sheets.

It seems that the term deflection is used for this. Any comment on this maybe?

jrmichler
Mentor
How deep do you want to get? The book Metal Forming - Mechanics and Metallurgy by Hosford and Caddell, was the basis for a graduate level class on that subject. Another book, Manufacturing Processes for Engineering Materials by Kalpackjian, has a chapter on sheet metal forming that is much more readable.

Good search term is sheet metal forming on both Google and scholar.google.com.

I'm looking for a way of calculating the energy needed to deform a metal sheet, like denting a metal sheet to the point of breakthrough. In an attempt to try and answer your question about how deep I want to go - I have a some rough estimations in my current model so the level of detail for the denting energy isn't crucial.

jrmichler
Mentor
There is a huge difference between barely denting, as implied in your first post, and denting to the point of breakthrough. It sounds like you are better off running some tests. There many variables - sheet thickness, strength, toughness, size, edge support, kinetic energy, momentum, shape, and strength of the object all affect the dent resistance. Support a piece of sheet metal, drop objects from different heights, find what dents and how deep.