How to measure the length of metal sheet coil?

In summary, the conversation is about finding an equation to measure the length of a coil, which is a metal sheet that wraps around loops. Two different formulas were discussed, one using the outer and inner diameter and thickness of the sheet, and the other using the average of the two diameters, the number of wraps, and pi. The conversation also includes a suggestion to approach the problem using integration and a reminder about the presence of insulation in most foil coils.
qnikchen
Hi everyone,

I have been trying to find an equation to measure the length of a coil. The coil is a metal sheet that wraps around the loops as it creates. It looks like a roll of tape. I have been using two different formula, but it is not giving me the right results.

1. L = 0.065449 (OD^2 - ID^2) / T; where OD is the outer diameter, ID the inner diameter, and T the thickness of the sheet.

2. L = ((ID + OD)/2 X 3.14 * # of wraps on the coil )/12.

I am not sure if I am using the right formula, but can some please give me a hint on this?

Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
Where did you get those equations? Did you derive them?

Hi Dr. D.

Those are found online. Both formulas takes the number in inches, and convert them in feet.

To get a better result andto gain more understanding, try working the problem from first principles using integration.

qnikchen said:
... where OD is the outer diameter, ID the inner diameter, and T the thickness of the sheet.

The area of metal at the end of the roll is; Area = (π * (OD/2)2) – (π * (ID/2)2)
Therefore, Area = π/4 * ( OD2 – ID2 )

The length of the coil will be Area / T
Therefore, Length = π/4 * ( OD2 – ID2 ) / T

The 0.065449 in your first equation is π/4, divided by twelve to convert from inches to feet.

qnikchen said:
Hi everyone,

I have been trying to find an equation to measure the length of a coil. The coil is a metal sheet that wraps around the loops as it creates. It looks like a roll of tape. I have been using two different formula, but it is not giving me the right results.

1. L = 0.065449 (OD^2 - ID^2) / T; where OD is the outer diameter, ID the inner diameter, and T the thickness of the sheet.

2. L = ((ID + OD)/2 X 3.14 * # of wraps on the coil )/12.

I am not sure if I am using the right formula, but can some please give me a hint on this?

Thank you
L=[square root (OD^2 - ID^2)] x PI x turns

turns= (OR-IR)/foil thickness
Remember that most foil coils do have a foil of insolation parallell with the copper foil (If it is intended to be an inductor. So foil thickness should be both combined.

Vidar

1. How do you measure the length of a metal sheet coil?

The length of a metal sheet coil can be measured using a measuring tape or ruler. Simply unroll the coil and measure from one end to the other in a straight line.

2. What units should be used to measure the length of a metal sheet coil?

The length of a metal sheet coil can be measured in either inches or centimeters, depending on your preference. Just make sure to use the same unit consistently for accurate measurements.

3. Is it necessary to unroll the metal sheet coil to measure its length?

Yes, the metal sheet coil must be unrolled in order to accurately measure its length. Attempting to measure the length while the coil is still rolled up can result in an inaccurate measurement.

4. Are there any tips for measuring the length of a metal sheet coil?

It is important to make sure the metal sheet coil is lying flat while measuring its length. Additionally, try to measure from the center of the coil to ensure an accurate measurement.

5. Can the length of a metal sheet coil change over time?

It is possible for the length of a metal sheet coil to change over time due to factors such as temperature, humidity, and storage conditions. It is recommended to measure the length as close to the time of use as possible for the most accurate measurement.