Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy of photons vs classical physics energy

1. Jun 21, 2013 #1
    Relativity says photons have energy E=pc. Classical physics says E=1/2 pv. There seems to be a factor of 2 missing in one case or the other or does the energy formula change as the speed of light is reached? There must be a simple explanation but I have not found it yet. I did not know where to put this question-under classical physics of quantum physics. Thanks for any help.

hjr

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

There are no photons in classical physics, so classical physics cannot say anything about them.

With the Maxwell equations and classical physics, you can derive E=pc for electromagnetic waves. There is no factor of 2.

4. Jun 21, 2013 #3

Bill_K

Science Advisor

The single relationship between energy and momentum that applies to both massive and massless particles is E = √(p2c2 + m2c4). For a massless particle, set m = 0 and it reduces to E = pc. For a massive particle at rest, set p = 0 and it reduces to E = mc2.

For a massive particle that's slowly moving, keep both terms and expand in a power series in p. The first two terms give you the usual Newonian expression, E = mc2 + p2/2m.

5. Jun 21, 2013 #4
    Energy of photon vs classical physics energy

Thanks for the replys. I was trying to understand what happens to energy of a proton as a proton is accelerated from rest to almost the speed of light as in the LHA. I think I can calculate that now.

hjr

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook