1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy of the photon

1. Sep 23, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An excited atom emits a photon of red light with a wavelength of 701. nm, what is the energy of the photon?----> _________________J

2. Relevant equations

and for this, my application was

firstly get landa from formula of c=landa * nu

and then landa * h, which is planck's constant which is 6.626e-34.

since my wavelength is 701 nm, it can be 701e-9 in order to change to meter format.

so my final application would be {(2.998e8m/s)/(701e-9m)} * ( 6.626e-34J*s)= 2.83e-19 (after rounding up to get significant figures which is 3 digits from 701nm)

3. The attempt at a solution

2.83e-19

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2007 #2
    1. Units! 2.83e-19 even if it's correct numerically is still wrong. You *need* to always have units.

2. Stay in symbols! Write down [tex]E = \frac{hc}{\lambda}[/tex], then just substitute in the numbers, after conversion to correct units.

(Btw, it's "lambda" not "landa")

4. Sep 23, 2007 #3
    i did put J (unit) at the end as well and it kept telling me wrong. did i do any conversion wrong?

5. Sep 23, 2007 #4
  6. Sep 23, 2007 #5
    oh, i got it.
    the answer needed to be negetive because the question says "emits". so answer had to be negative. i replaced the answer with -2.84e-19 and it was correct. thank you for the help. now i can go to bed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?