1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy question

1. Apr 26, 2005 #1

How much energy in Joules is used by a 100 W light bulb in 2 hours?

[tex]100 W=\frac{x_{j}}{7200_s}[/tex]

My teacher said I probably got the right answer but I did the wrong work. I think I did so too. Can some1 help me out?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2005 #2

Science Advisor

Your answer is "correct". However, it's better to work problems using equations with variables representing the various quantities.
    In words:
    {Power} = {Energy}/{Time}
    Now let {P = Power (in J/sec)}, {E = Energy (in J)}, and {T = Time (in sec)}, so that:
    P = E/T
    ::: ⇒ E = P*T

For your problem:
    P = (100 Watts) = (100 J/sec)
    T = (2 hours) = (7200 sec)
    E = (100 J/sec)*(7200 sec) = (720000 Joules)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2005
  4. Apr 26, 2005 #3

Science Advisor

I would argue that your approach is better than the teacher's approach; especially when using a Texas Instruments calculator. TI calculators have an equation solver, so you don't actually need to manipulate the formula. The less you screw with an equation, the less likely you are to make silly algebra errors.
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2005
  5. Apr 26, 2005 #4

Science Advisor

Check out my method of writing formulas

Notice how nothing is moved around from the original formula. The value I'm trying to find isn't even isolated.
    You're in a physics class, so do physics. Math is for the losers in the math class :tongue:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?