Energy Saving Devices: Expert Advice Needed

• Thread starter psykeeper_14
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, the man claims that his energy saving device can stop the rotation of the electric meter disc. It is unclear if this is true or not, and the device could have harmful effects if it is not actually effective at saving energy.
psykeeper_14
Dear Experts,

I would like to solicit your comments about energy saving devices (electric consumption reducer) which is being advertised in malls, streets, tv, etc.

Here’s my story:

Recently I’ve attended a Science Fair Competition and there’s a man claiming that the device he made can save electric energy consumption. The instruments he showed to us are power source (ac), home electric meter (dial type), a blower, and, the claimed energy saving device. At first, he connects the blower into the electric meter which is connected to a power source. The disc of the electric meter rotates at constant speed (I think about 4 sec/turn). But when he plugged the blower to his energy saving device, the disc rotation suddenly slowed down and at a certain time, it stops! The blower still operates at good. He just showed us what’s inside the energy saving device and it’s composed of an IC circuit, capacitors, diodes, etc.

My questions are:

1. Is it true that there are certain device can stop the rotation of the disc?
2. Are all these energy saving device truly saves your electric energy consumption? and
3. Is there no harmful effects in your appliances, etc.?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sounds like theft to me. That's assuming it actually works. I guess liquid nitrogen or dry ice could gum up the works of a rotating disc meter. I wonder what this "blower" was supposed to be blowing into the meter.

The only household "energy saving" circuit I have ever seen that worked is a power-factor corrector circuit for induction motors (like in refrigerator). A lightly-loaded induction motor has a low power factor. The power factor can be increased by reducing the motor ac voltage using a triac. When the reactive current is reduced by reducing the ac voltage, the I2R losses in the motor windings are reduced, with only a small reduction in RPM. I built one, and determined that after a few seconds, the refrigerator ac voltage dropped from 120 volts to ~90 volts (on a 1966 vintage refrigerator). If the power factor was increased more, the motor began to draw more current. (This might not work on new refrigerators with microprocessors).

A good lab (or home) experiment is to plug a 1/4-HP induction motor (with no load) into a Variac, and find the voltage that minimizes the wall-plug real power.

Bob S

One of the things that I learned in college, is << illegal activity info deleted by berkeman >>

Last edited by a moderator:
Emicro said:
One of the things that I learned in college, is << illegal activity info deleted by berkeman >>

Let's all remember that illegal activities are not discussed here on the PF.

What are energy saving devices?

Energy saving devices are products designed to reduce the amount of energy used in a household or building. They can include anything from LED light bulbs to smart thermostats and energy-efficient appliances.

How do energy saving devices work?

Energy saving devices work by using advanced technology to reduce the amount of energy needed to perform a certain task. For example, LED light bulbs use less energy than traditional incandescent bulbs, while smart thermostats can automatically adjust the temperature to save energy when no one is home.

What are the benefits of using energy saving devices?

The benefits of using energy saving devices include lower energy bills, reduced carbon footprint, and a more sustainable way of living. They can also help to prolong the lifespan of appliances and reduce the need for frequent replacements.

Are all energy saving devices created equal?

No, not all energy saving devices are created equal. Some may claim to be energy-efficient but may not have undergone proper testing or certification. It is important to do research and look for reputable brands with certifications such as ENERGY STAR before purchasing an energy saving device.

Can energy saving devices really make a significant impact?

Yes, energy saving devices can make a significant impact on energy consumption and costs. According to the U.S. Department of Energy, energy-efficient products have saved consumers over $500 billion on utility bills since 1992. By using a combination of energy saving devices, households and buildings can reduce their energy usage by 10-50%.