1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Energy Signals

1. Jan 24, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

X(t) = Xe(t) + Xo(t) where Xe(t) = (1/2){X(t)+X(-t)} is the even part and Xo(t) = (1/2){X(t)-X(-t)} is the odd part of the signal. Let X(t) be an energy signal with energy 5 Joules. Suppose the even part of X(t) is Xe(t) = exp(-|t|). Determine the energy in Xo(t).

2. Relevant equations

E = ∫|X(t)|^2 dt from -infinity to infinity

3. The attempt at a solution

I have attempted this problem two ways.

First I tried to derive Xo(t) by using the above energy equation and substituting {Xe(t) + Xo(t)} with E = 5 J and from there I got the result Xo(t) = -exp(-|t|). Which didn't make sense since that would mean that X(t) = 0 but somehow has energy of 5 J.

My second attempt at this I started with the base equations provided for Xe(t) and set them equal to each other which resulted in X(-t) = 2exp(-|t|) + X(t). Taking this result and plugging it into the equation for Xo(t) again resulted in Xo(t) = -exp(-|t|). This again makes no sense.

I think I am simply over complicating this problem or I am just doing something very wrong. Either way any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?