Finding Energy of an Odd Signal Given Even Part and Total Energy

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the given problem involves finding the energy in the odd part of a signal, given the even part and the total energy of the signal. By using the properties of symmetry and the given equations, we can determine that the energy in the odd part is 0 Joules.
Axis001

Homework Statement

X(t) = Xe(t) + Xo(t) where Xe(t) = (1/2){X(t)+X(-t)} is the even part and Xo(t) = (1/2){X(t)-X(-t)} is the odd part of the signal. Let X(t) be an energy signal with energy 5 Joules. Suppose the even part of X(t) is Xe(t) = exp(-|t|). Determine the energy in Xo(t).

Homework Equations

E = ∫|X(t)|^2 dt from -infinity to infinity

The Attempt at a Solution

I have attempted this problem two ways.

First I tried to derive Xo(t) by using the above energy equation and substituting {Xe(t) + Xo(t)} with E = 5 J and from there I got the result Xo(t) = -exp(-|t|). Which didn't make sense since that would mean that X(t) = 0 but somehow has energy of 5 J.

My second attempt at this I started with the base equations provided for Xe(t) and set them equal to each other which resulted in X(-t) = 2exp(-|t|) + X(t). Taking this result and plugging it into the equation for Xo(t) again resulted in Xo(t) = -exp(-|t|). This again makes no sense.

I think I am simply over complicating this problem or I am just doing something very wrong. Either way any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. I understand your confusion and I am here to help clarify the problem.

Firstly, let's start with the given equation: X(t) = Xe(t) + Xo(t)

In this equation, X(t) represents the energy signal with energy 5 Joules. This means that the total energy of the signal is 5 Joules.

Now, let's look at Xe(t) = exp(-|t|). This is the even part of the signal, which means that it is symmetric about the y-axis. This also means that X(-t) = X(t).

Using this information, we can rewrite the equation as: X(t) = Xe(t) + Xe(-t).

Substituting Xe(-t) with Xe(t) (since they are the same), we get: X(t) = 2Xe(t).

Now, we can solve for Xe(t) by dividing both sides by 2: Xe(t) = X(t)/2.

Since we know that X(t) = 5 Joules, we can substitute this value into the equation to get: Xe(t) = 2.5 Joules.

Finally, to find the energy in Xo(t), we use the given equation: Xo(t) = (1/2){X(t)-X(-t)}.

Substituting X(t) with 5 Joules and X(-t) with X(t), we get: Xo(t) = (1/2){5-5} = 0 Joules.

Therefore, the energy in Xo(t) is 0 Joules.

I hope this helps clarify the problem for you. Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

What is an odd signal and an even part?

An odd signal is a signal that is symmetric about the origin, meaning that it has equal energy in positive and negative frequencies. An even part refers to the even components of the odd signal, which has zero energy in positive and negative frequencies.

How do you find the energy of an odd signal given the even part and total energy?

To find the energy of an odd signal, you can use the Pythagorean theorem to calculate the square root of the difference between the total energy and the energy of the even part. This gives you the energy of the odd signal.

Can an odd signal have a negative energy?

No, an odd signal cannot have a negative energy because it is symmetric about the origin and has equal energy in positive and negative frequencies. Therefore, the energy of an odd signal will always be positive.

How does an odd signal affect the total energy?

An odd signal contributes to the total energy by adding its energy to the energy of the even part. This is because an odd signal and its even part together make up the total energy of the signal.

Are there any real-world applications for finding the energy of an odd signal given the even part and total energy?

Yes, this concept is commonly used in signal processing and telecommunications to analyze and manipulate signals. For example, in audio processing, understanding the energy of an odd signal can help with noise reduction and equalization.