Energy source for hot place on cloudy / rainy days without wind?

In summary, a person is seeking advice on how to generate electricity in a location where average temperatures are above 25C (77F) and there is no wind. They need 50Wh of electricity per day and can only use retail products or late-stage experimental technology. The person is considering using wide spectrum solar cells, but is unsure if this technology exists. They also ask about the decrease in electricity production on cloudy days and mention that this is a voluntary project with potential rewards. The conversation also touches on using Peltier modules and the Seebeck effect, as well as thermionic emission as a potential option. Finally, there is a question about stacking thermoelectric modules for increased efficiency in power generation.
PraAnan
Say you're in a place either 15 degrees north or south of the equator where average temperatures are over 25C (77F), a large majority of days are either cloudy or rainy and there isn't any wind.

You need 50Wh a day for your needs and the battery you have happens to have a capacity of 50Wh as well so you need to generate every single day. You can buy things but not a battery with a larger capacity or fuels such as petrol.

How do you generate electricity?
(can either use retail products or late stage experimental technology)

I'm currently thinking of going for some sort of wide spectrum solar cells which are receptive to IR and UV as well a larger portion of the visible spectrum but I have no idea if this technology currently exists in the real world.
Also, how much less electricity will a normal solar cell generate on a cloudy day?

This isn't homework, it's a voluntary problem solving project for us to do that doesn't effect our final grades but does have nice rewards.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure you don't mean 50 kWh?

PraAnan said:
Say you're in a place either 15 degrees north or south of the equator where average temperatures are over 25C (77F), a large majority of days are either cloudy or rainy and there isn't any wind.

You need 50Wh a day for your needs and the battery you have happens to have a capacity of 50Wh as well so you need to generate every single day. You can buy things but not a battery with a larger capacity or fuels such as petrol.

I'm currently thinking of going for some sort of wide spectrum solar cells which are receptive to IR and UV as well a larger portion of the visible spectrum but I have no idea if this technology currently exists in the real world.
Also, how much less electricity will a normal solar cell generate on a cloudy day?

This isn't homework, it's a voluntary problem solving project for us to do that doesn't effect our final grades but does have nice rewards.

It's still schoolwork, so I'll move it to the HH forums.

Is there any running water available? If it is cloudy and rainy, I'd expect there to be running creeks or streams in the area...

I'm pretty sure it's 50Wh (180kJ)

@berkeman
I understand, I just thought that I would get more replies in the engineering section of the forum.

Daily water needs are fulfilled by a nearby manual bore-well. No other water sources are mentioned so I guess we have to assume that there isn't any running water.

I did miss one point in my initial post, your own energy can't be used to generate electricity.

Solar PV will generate on cloudy days if you have big enough panels. In some cases the output is down to 5-10% of what it is on a sunny day. So short answer is to buy really big panels perhaps 10-20 times bigger.

In the real world it might be cheaper to buy a bigger battery. Depends on how long cloudy days persist and what the implications are for running out of electricity. Is it used to power a refrigerator storing vital medicine or just a reading light?

Look into Peltier modules and the Seebeck effect. A single small module can produce about 1.7W with a small temperature difference. See a demo.

Temperature differences can be achieved by solar collector or even by heating water (fire!) on cloudy days.

PraAnan said:

Finally... A PV question that matches the parameters in my location... :grumpy:

My 50 watt panel put out an optimal 0.03 watts 40 minutes ago(1 hour and 20 minutes prior to high noon). It is a cloudy day. Though I'm at 45° north, and your cloudy day might not be my cloudy day.

So many variables, so little time...

I have done previous research on thermoelectrics and they are a good option.

I came across a new (for me anyway) form of heat to electricity converter in the form of thermionic emission. This seems interesting because from looking around it may be more efficient than thermoelectricity so you'd need less wood for power production.

There seems to be quite a bit written about it but are there any commercial products available?

I have a question about thermoelectrics which I've been wondering about.

There seem to be stacked modules when it comes to cooling applications but is it possible to stack modules on top of each other to increase efficiency when generating electricity?

pl88989-peltier_cooler_module_four_stage_stack_tec4_247_series_15x40mm.jpg

For cooling, modules are stacked because each one produces a limited amount of temperature difference for a given working current. By stacking, these temperature differences can be summed.

For power generation you're applying a temperature difference and obtaining a potential difference and current. You want to maximize the temperature difference (or at least operate the module at its optimum temperature difference). Stacking doesn't help with this, in fact it would make getting each module to its optimum ΔT more difficult.

1. What is the most efficient energy source for a hot place on cloudy/rainy days without wind?

The most efficient energy source for a hot place on cloudy/rainy days without wind would be solar energy. Solar panels can still generate electricity on cloudy days, making it a reliable option for powering a hot place.

2. Can geothermal energy be used as an energy source for a hot place on cloudy/rainy days without wind?

Geothermal energy requires heat from the Earth's core to generate electricity, so it would not be a suitable energy source for a hot place on cloudy/rainy days without wind.

3. How does hydroelectric power work as an energy source for a hot place on cloudy/rainy days without wind?

Hydroelectric power relies on flowing water to generate electricity, so it would not be a viable energy source for a hot place on cloudy/rainy days without wind. Additionally, hydroelectric dams can be negatively impacted by heavy rain.

4. Is wind energy a feasible option for a hot place on cloudy/rainy days without wind?

No, wind energy requires wind to generate electricity, so it would not be a suitable energy source for a hot place on cloudy/rainy days without wind.

5. Can biomass energy be used to power a hot place on cloudy/rainy days without wind?

Biomass energy uses organic materials, such as wood or agricultural waste, to generate electricity. It would not be a reliable energy source for a hot place on cloudy/rainy days without wind, as these materials may not be readily available in these conditions.