Can a Spring Be Used for Energy Storage?

In summary: I will take a look at those articles and see if they provide any pointers towards my project.In summary, this device is supposed to be able to compress or extend a spring by turning a wheel, and the decompression or extension should happen in a timed stuttered way. Some pointers towards design or mechanics for this project would be appreciated.
suryag
Hi,

I am thinking of a device, i don't know if a similar one exists already but this is what it is supposed to do.

1. compress(or extend) a spring by way of some mechanical force like turning a wheel(this wheel could very well be that of a bicyle)
2. Once the spring is compressed(or extended), the decompression(return back to original state) should happen in a timed(stuttered) way.

Any pointers to documents or links are welcome

Physics news on Phys.org
You mean an old fashioned , wind up, alarm clock?

Yes something along those lines. What is it called so that i can google it and learn more of the mechanics behind it.

Well the clock has a spiral spring.
You wind the clock to tighten the spring with a crank.
The tendency of the spring to unwind works against an 'escapement mechanism', to drive a toothed wheel with a rider that engages the teeth and prevents movement.
Some form of oscillating mechanism eg a pendulum, or rocker or wheel periodically lifts the rider from the toothed wheel to allow a burst of movement. When the oscillating mechanism swings back it resets the rider on the next tooth.

there's lots on the net about clock escapements.

Nice idea. However, i don't have the luxury of something periodic happening like a pendulum. Am curious how do timed windup switches like the ones in the basement work without any electricity? That will probably provide me a pointer for design.

Welcome to Physics Forums.

I googled mechanical timer, as well as mechanical timer tutorial. Perhaps that will lead to something that would help you?

It is not clear what you have in mind, do you simply want to know how mechanical timers work or are you wanting to design/build something? (And if you want to build something, providing more details would lead to better answers.)

What i am basically trying to do is to raise a weight and then bring it down slowly. I am not sure how to go about this. Any tips towards this design goals i appreciated

A weight can be lowered slowly using something like this:

clock-weight-train.gif

From http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/gadgets/clocks-watches/clock4.htm
and for more detail scroll about halfway down http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/gadgets/clocks-watches/clock3.htm"

Attachments

• clock-weight-train.gif
    clock-weight-train.gif
    15.9 KB · Views: 474
Last edited by a moderator:
Wow that's very informative, thanks a lot.

1. How does energy storage in a spring work?

When a spring is stretched or compressed, potential energy is stored in the form of elastic potential energy. This is due to the distance between the atoms in the spring changing, causing them to exert a force on each other. When the spring returns to its original shape, this potential energy is released as kinetic energy.

2. What is the equation for calculating the potential energy stored in a spring?

The equation for calculating the potential energy stored in a spring is PE = 1/2kx2, where k is the spring constant and x is the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position.

3. What factors affect the amount of energy stored in a spring?

The amount of energy stored in a spring is affected by its spring constant, which is determined by the material and size of the spring. The amount of displacement from the equilibrium position also plays a role, as a greater displacement means more potential energy stored.

4. How is energy stored in a spring used in everyday life?

Energy storage in springs is utilized in various devices, such as mattresses, trampolines, and pogo sticks. Springs are also commonly used in mechanical watches to store and release energy to power the movement of the watch hands.

5. Can energy be lost in a spring?

While a spring can lose some energy due to factors such as friction and air resistance, the total amount of energy stored in the spring remains constant. This is known as the principle of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed.