How Much Energy is Stored in a 1.5 V Battery with a Rating of 1,800 mAh?

In summary, the energy stored in a battery is the potential energy that is converted into electrical energy when the battery is used in an electronic device. It is stored through a chemical reaction and can be affected by factors such as the type of battery, size, chemical composition, temperature, age, and usage. The amount of time energy can be stored depends on the type of battery and its usage, and to maximize its storage, proper charging and usage methods, as well as maintenance and storage, should be followed.
aChordate
Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone could check this since I am not very good at physics (understatement).

Thanks a lot! :smile:

"A 1.5 V battery is rated at 1,800 milliamp hours (mAh). This means it can suppy a current of 1.8 A for 1.0 hours before running out of charge. How much electrical energy (in joules) is stored in the battery when it is new?"

My solution:
Δq=J(Δt)=(1.8A)(3600s)=6480 C

E=q*(E/q)= (6480C)(1.5V) = 9.7*10^3 Joules

Physics news on Phys.org
Your calculated value looks good.

1. What is the energy stored in a battery?

The energy stored in a battery is the potential energy that is converted into electrical energy when the battery is used in an electronic device. It is measured in joules (J) or watt-hours (Wh).

2. How is energy stored in a battery?

Energy is stored in a battery through a chemical reaction that occurs between the positive and negative terminals. This creates an electrical potential difference that allows for the storage of energy.

3. What affects the amount of energy stored in a battery?

The amount of energy stored in a battery depends on the type of battery, its size, and its chemical composition. Factors such as temperature, age, and usage can also affect the amount of energy stored.

4. How long can energy be stored in a battery?

The amount of time that energy can be stored in a battery depends on the type of battery and its usage. Rechargeable batteries can store energy for a longer period of time compared to single-use batteries.

5. How can I maximize the energy stored in a battery?

To maximize the energy stored in a battery, it is important to use the correct charger and charging method, avoid overcharging or overheating the battery, and to use the battery in recommended temperatures. Proper maintenance and storage can also help maximize the energy stored in a battery.