Energy stored in electric field

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of potential energy stored in an electric field. It is mentioned that the energy stored in electric field per unit volume is equal to 1/2 times the electric field squared. It is then suggested that for any configuration, calculating the integral of 1/2 times the electric field squared over the entire space will give the potential energy stored in the system. An example is given with two charges separated by a distance. However, there is a correction made to the equation, stating that it should be the interacting potential energy, not a force. Finally, there is a reminder to ask questions instead of giving orders.
person_random_normal
I know that energy stored in electric field / unit volume = 1/2 ε E2

so can I say that for any configuration calculating ∫ ½ ε E2 over whole space - gives me the potential energy stored stored in the system

for instance
for →
Q1 °

° Q2 ...separated by distance 'd'

∫ ½ ε E2 over whole space = KQ1Q2 / d

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please check your final equation. You integrated energy density over space and got a force!

Likes person_random_normal
Chandra Prayaga said:
Please check your final equation. You integrated energy density over space and got a force!

Oh ! I meant interacting potential energy

have corrected that !

?

Say something

If you still have questions, you should ask them, instead of barking orders at us.

Likes person_random_normal
Vanadium 50 said:
If you still have questions, you should ask them, instead of barking orders at us.

i have my question at the top !

nobody solved it so , i could have counter question

by the way sorry if was curt any way
:woot::wink:

1. What is the definition of energy stored in electric field?

Energy stored in electric field refers to the potential energy that exists in the space surrounding an electrically charged object. It is a form of energy that is created when charges are separated, creating an electric field around the object.

2. How is energy stored in electric field calculated?

The energy stored in electric field can be calculated using the formula E = 1/2 * Q * V, where E is the energy stored, Q is the amount of charge and V is the electric potential.

3. What factors affect the amount of energy stored in an electric field?

The amount of energy stored in an electric field is affected by the amount of charge present, the distance between the charges, and the dielectric constant of the material between the charges.

4. What is the unit of measurement for energy stored in electric field?

The unit of measurement for energy stored in electric field is joules (J) in the SI system. In some cases, it may also be measured in electron volts (eV).

5. How is energy stored in electric field used in practical applications?

Energy stored in electric field is used in a variety of practical applications, such as in batteries, capacitors, and electric motors. It is also used in the transmission and distribution of electricity to power homes and businesses.