Calculate Power Used to Climb Small Airplane - 2 Sig Fig %

In summary, the small single-engine airplane with a mass of 680 kg gains altitude at a rate of 2.1 m/s when its engine of power 80 kW is generating full power. The fraction of engine power being used to make the airplane climb is 17%.
Superfluous
When its engine of power 80 kW is generating full power, a small single-engine airplane with mass 680 kg gains altitude at a rate of 2.1 m/s.

What fraction of the engine power is being used to make the airplane climb? (The remainder is used to overcome the effects of air resistance and of inefficiencies in the propeller and engine.)

Express your answer as a percentage using two significant figures.

So I'm stumped here. I need some hints on how to get started. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Power is the rate of doing work. What is the work the engine is doing to gain height compared to the work of overcoming resistance and other effects? That is what do you know about the work done to move a mass from one height to another?

I couldn't quite follow your post, but I believe I have a solution now. Thanks.

[tex]P=\vec{F}\cdot\vec{v}[/tex]

I'm given [tex]v=2.1\ m/s[/tex]

I need to find [tex]F[/tex] which I do by using Newton's 2nd law:

[tex]\Sigma F_{y}=-mg+L=0[/tex] where [tex]L[/tex] is the lifting force.

So

[tex]L=mg[/tex]

[tex]m=680\ kg[/tex]
[tex]g=9.8\ m/s^{2}[/tex]

Therefore,

[tex]F=L=6664\ N[/tex]

[tex]P=\left(6664\ N\right)\left(2.1\ m/s\right)=13994.4\ W[/tex]

Now I simply need to find what fraction of the full power this is:

[tex]\frac{13994.4\ W}{80000\ W}=0.17493[/tex]

Hence, the percentage of engine power being used to make the airplane climb is [tex]17\%[/tex].

Last edited:

What is the formula for calculating the power used to climb a small airplane?

The formula for calculating power used to climb a small airplane is P = mgh/t, where P is power, m is mass, g is the acceleration due to gravity, h is the height climbed, and t is the time taken.

What units should be used for the variables in the power calculation formula?

Mass should be measured in kilograms (kg), height should be measured in meters (m), time should be measured in seconds (s), and power will be measured in watts (W).

How many significant figures should be used in the power calculation?

Two significant figures should be used for the power calculation. This is because all of the variables (mass, height, and time) have two significant figures, so the answer should be rounded to two significant figures as well.

Is there a specific method for rounding the final answer to two significant figures?

Yes, there is a specific method for rounding to two significant figures. If the first digit after the second significant figure is 5 or greater, the second significant figure is rounded up. If the first digit after the second significant figure is less than 5, the second significant figure remains the same.

Can the power calculation formula be used for larger airplanes?

Yes, the power calculation formula can be used for larger airplanes as well. However, the variables may need to be measured in different units (such as using kilograms instead of grams for mass) and the answer may have more than two significant figures.