1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering Dynamics: Connected Systems

1. Oct 20, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A uniform bar ABCD having a mass of 4.25kg is pivoted at B shown in Figure below. The bar ABCD is
    supported at A and D by springs having stiffness’s of 12kN/m and 2kN/m respectively. A torsional spring
    of stiffness 100Nm/rad is also present at the pivot B and a damper is located at C having a coefficient of
    damping of 6kNs/m. A discrete mass of 6.75kg is at D. Beam ABCD is connected to another beam EFG by
    Link DG. The Link has negligible mass. Beam EFG is also uniform and has a mass of 7.1kg/m and is pivoted
    at E and carries a mass of 8kg and a spring of stiffness 10kN/m at F. Determine:

(a) the equivalent mass-spring-damping system at A;
    (b) the natural frequency of the system.

upload_2014-10-20_11-28-13.png

My thoughts at a solution involve moving the mass and spring from F to D to find the equivalent mass-spring system at D. I would then calculate the equivalent mass of lever EFG, which I believe would be transmitted through lever DG to point D. Adding the equivalent mass of lever EFG to the mass at D would give me a new value for the equivalent mass at D which means I could treat the whole thing as a linear system and work back from D referring everything to point A as instructed.

Question: Does this appear to be a logical solution? What do I do about the torsional spring at pivot B, can I somehow convert it into a linear spring constant?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2014 #2
    The way you state it doesn't sound correct.

For example, I am not entirely sure what you mean by "moving the mass and spring from F to D". If you literally mean this then I don't think this will give you the correct answer.

The correct approach I think would be to develop a displacement relationship between all the points.

BTW, there appear to be some typos in the written description since it doesn't match the diagram 100%.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted