Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering Forums?

1. Jun 6, 2006 #1

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

Hey, i like PhysicsForums and all, but this is mostly dedicated to physics. I am wondering if anybody knows about other engineering forums (especially civil engineering forums)?

I would love to trade ideas with other civil engineers around the world.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2006 #2

Danger

Gold Member

I'm not familiar with any net stuff, so I can't help you on that. I became involved with this site by accident, Googling for hovercraft formulae, and ended up getting hooked. I've always had an intense interest in astrophysics, and this gave me an awesome opportunity to become involved in it. To my utter surprise, it turned out that I'm an engineer at heart, if not in education. You can look around all that you want to, but you have an incredible collection of world-class engineers right here. When you look at the credentials of Astronuc, Russ, Brewnog, Fred... man, you'd be nuts to go elsewhere.

4. Jun 6, 2006 #3

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

Hey Danger!, i am not looking to trade this forum for another, i like this forum, it's great. I am just looking for other forums to interact in (especially engineering ones).

5. Jun 6, 2006 #4

Danger

Gold Member

Sorry, Cyclo... didn't mean to sound as if I were accusing you of treason. Truth is, I've never been anywhere else unless linked from here. I'd only had my internet connection for a couple of days when I joined this place, so I guess I imprinted like a baby duck. (I found it a few weeks earlier using a library computer, so I wrote down the address for later.) I'm sure that there are other engineering sites out there, but I still think that you have the best of the best right here. Astro and such can probably provide you with other sites.

6. Jun 7, 2006 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think civil engineering is the one engineering branch not specifically covered here, and that we don't have represented much among the members (at least, not among those who have told us their background). Of course, a lot of the stuff a civil engineer would want to cover can be covered under an assortment of the categories we do have available.

If there is another site out there that specifically covers civil engineering, you're only allowed out to play there if you promise to bring some of your new friends back here. :biggrin:

7. Jun 7, 2006 #6

Danger

Gold Member

Well, I have a suspicion based upon Civil Dude's username... :uhh:

8. Jun 7, 2006 #7

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If it's not the largest, I'd be surprised. Engineering Tips forum is packed with a very wide range of engineering forums.

http://www.eng-tips.com/index.cfm

9. Jun 7, 2006 #8

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Yeah. Eng-tips.com is good and has a lot of different sub topics. It is not what one would consider a "chatty" kind of board. It's very straight to the point, which is nice. You don't see the same posts over and over and over...well, maybe a couple of them.

I must say that I am not a fan of the software they use for their forums. It's horrible. Right out of the early '80s I think.

10. Jun 7, 2006 #9

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Eng Tips is ok for specific questions, but I find this place to be much more helpful. Ok most of the engineers are more clanky based but there's definitely some civils and structs around, so don't be put off by the forum titles.

11. Jun 7, 2006 #10

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

Yea, no lying about being a straight to the point forum, I'll bookmark it. Thanks.

12. Jun 7, 2006 #11
    Hi there:

Check out eFunda at http://www.efunda.com.

I do believe that this is the site for you -- it is focused on civil engineering.

Good luck.

Thanks,

Gordan

13. Jun 8, 2006 #12

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

E-funda is not focused on civil engineering. It has a wide range of topics, hence the name.

14. Jun 10, 2006 #13
  15. Jun 10, 2006 #14
    Yes, but can you believe they're not using off the shelve forum software like phpBB??

16. Jun 10, 2006 #15

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yep, their software sucks for sure. Can't edit. No attachments. No short cut buttons of any kind.

Maybe you really CAN'T teach an old dog new ... software...

17. Jun 10, 2006 #16

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

Yea, looks like all the engineers have obsolete softwares, while the physics have the latest :rofl:. Must be that functional and economic design motto we are taught.

18. Jun 10, 2006 #17
    I have hung around eng-tips.com mostly also, but I agree their software is the worst. I like physicsforums because there is a wide variety of knowledge and the software is great. Here is one where the environment is much improved, but it just starting so there are very few members and posts.

http://www.cebulletin.com/forum/index.php
    It looks like they have just added a new homepage too, I guess it is a good start.
    http://cebulletin.com/

Otherwise, I am involved in newsgroups/email lists.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?