Engineering Forums: Civil Engineering Discussion & Ideas

In summary, I think that Engineering Forums is a great site for exchanging ideas with other engineers. If you are looking for other engineering forums, I would recommend checking out eFunda or Engineering Forum.
Pyrrhus
Homework Helper
Hey, i like PhysicsForums and all, but this is mostly dedicated to physics. I am wondering if anybody knows about other engineering forums (especially civil engineering forums)?

I would love to trade ideas with other civil engineers around the world.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm not familiar with any net stuff, so I can't help you on that. I became involved with this site by accident, Googling for hovercraft formulae, and ended up getting hooked. I've always had an intense interest in astrophysics, and this gave me an awesome opportunity to become involved in it. To my utter surprise, it turned out that I'm an engineer at heart, if not in education. You can look around all that you want to, but you have an incredible collection of world-class engineers right here. When you look at the credentials of Astronuc, Russ, Brewnog, Fred... man, you'd be nuts to go elsewhere.

Hey Danger!, i am not looking to trade this forum for another, i like this forum, it's great. I am just looking for other forums to interact in (especially engineering ones).

Sorry, Cyclo... didn't mean to sound as if I were accusing you of treason. Truth is, I've never been anywhere else unless linked from here. I'd only had my internet connection for a couple of days when I joined this place, so I guess I imprinted like a baby duck. (I found it a few weeks earlier using a library computer, so I wrote down the address for later.) I'm sure that there are other engineering sites out there, but I still think that you have the best of the best right here. Astro and such can probably provide you with other sites.

I think civil engineering is the one engineering branch not specifically covered here, and that we don't have represented much among the members (at least, not among those who have told us their background). Of course, a lot of the stuff a civil engineer would want to cover can be covered under an assortment of the categories we do have available.

If there is another site out there that specifically covers civil engineering, you're only allowed out to play there if you promise to bring some of your new friends back here. :biggrin:

Well, I have a suspicion based upon Civil Dude's username... :uhh:

I am wondering if anybody knows about other engineering forums (especially civil engineering forums)?
If it's not the largest, I'd be surprised. Engineering Tips forum is packed with a very wide range of engineering forums.

http://www.eng-tips.com/index.cfm

Yeah. Eng-tips.com is good and has a lot of different sub topics. It is not what one would consider a "chatty" kind of board. It's very straight to the point, which is nice. You don't see the same posts over and over and over...well, maybe a couple of them.

I must say that I am not a fan of the software they use for their forums. It's horrible. Right out of the early '80s I think.

Eng Tips is ok for specific questions, but I find this place to be much more helpful. Ok most of the engineers are more clanky based but there's definitely some civils and structs around, so don't be put off by the forum titles.

Yea, no lying about being a straight to the point forum, I'll bookmark it. Thanks.

Hi there:

Check out eFunda at http://www.efunda.com.

I do believe that this is the site for you -- it is focused on civil engineering.

Good luck.

Thanks,

Gordan

E-funda is not focused on civil engineering. It has a wide range of topics, hence the name.

Q_Goest said:
If it's not the largest, I'd be surprised. Engineering Tips forum is packed with a very wide range of engineering forums.

http://www.eng-tips.com/index.cfm

Yes, but can you believe they're not using off the shelve forum software like phpBB??

Yep, their software sucks for sure. Can't edit. No attachments. No short cut buttons of any kind.

Maybe you really CAN'T teach an old dog new ... software...

Yea, looks like all the engineers have obsolete softwares, while the physics have the latest :rofl:. Must be that functional and economic design motto we are taught.

I have hung around eng-tips.com mostly also, but I agree their software is the worst. I like physicsforums because there is a wide variety of knowledge and the software is great. Here is one where the environment is much improved, but it just starting so there are very few members and posts.

http://www.cebulletin.com/forum/index.php
It looks like they have just added a new homepage too, I guess it is a good start.
http://cebulletin.com/

Otherwise, I am involved in newsgroups/email lists.

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of "Engineering Forums: Civil Engineering Discussion & Ideas"?

The purpose of "Engineering Forums: Civil Engineering Discussion & Ideas" is to provide a platform for civil engineers, students, and professionals to discuss and share ideas, knowledge, and experiences related to civil engineering.

2. How can I join the "Engineering Forums: Civil Engineering Discussion & Ideas" community?

You can join the "Engineering Forums: Civil Engineering Discussion & Ideas" community by creating an account on the forum website. Once your account is approved, you can start participating in discussions and sharing your ideas.

3. Is "Engineering Forums: Civil Engineering Discussion & Ideas" only for professionals or can students also participate?

"Engineering Forums: Civil Engineering Discussion & Ideas" is open to both professionals and students. It is a great platform for students to learn from experienced professionals and for professionals to stay updated with the latest developments in the field.

4. Are there any rules or guidelines for participating in discussions on "Engineering Forums: Civil Engineering Discussion & Ideas"?

Yes, there are rules and guidelines that all members must follow while participating in discussions on "Engineering Forums: Civil Engineering Discussion & Ideas". These guidelines ensure a respectful and productive environment for all members.

5. Can I ask for advice or help with a specific civil engineering project on "Engineering Forums: Civil Engineering Discussion & Ideas"?

Yes, you can ask for advice or help with a specific civil engineering project on "Engineering Forums: Civil Engineering Discussion & Ideas". The community is always willing to offer their expertise and experience to help fellow members.