1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering physics: Which specialization? Bio-phys vs applied-phys

Tags:
  1. Dec 21, 2013 #1
    Hi! The time has come to choose the specialization of my EP degree, and for this occasion I hope it's OK to make a very self-centred thread :p. Here's what I study: http://www.ntnu.edu/studies/mtfyma. The 3 choices are: math, applied physics and biophysics.

I don't think I want to specialize in mathematics (even though I find it much easier than physics), but rather some form of phyiscs. So I guess it's between biology or more technical stuff.

Under both biophysics and applied physics I can choose pretty much any concentration I want, but my problem is that I have very little knowledge of upper-level physics or what it's like. I am frankly overwhelmed by the options and unable to make a decision. So could you guys help me choose what I should specialize in?

Stuff I enjoy/am interested in:

* Technology. I have always been fascinated by the technological progress of humanity, and so this is definitely something I want to be a part of.

* Space exploration. A very interesting field - very adventurous and fascinating. I enjoy the novelty of exploration.

* How the brain works. I've always wanted to know more about it, and would be interested to see if it's possible to amplify its workings.

* Evolution. I've always found it very interesting and fundamental, and think it's cool how it can be used to optimize processes in computer science.

* Cutting-edge technology. I like ambitious goals and unexplored territory.

* Working internationally. Anywhere else than Norway.

My school is (probably) comparable to caltech or similarly strict US engineering schools when it comes to difficulty and workload, and I aim at a decent GPA (at least 3.5) when I graduate.

1) Does this mean I can get onto a graduate program in the USA in one of the fields above?
    2) Is a graduate program important or more trouble than its worth if I want to develop technology?
    3) How about employment? Is biophysics risky in this regard?
    4) What other relevant cutting edge fields are there than the ones I listed?

Thanks for any reply :)

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2013 #2
    Unless you are certain about biophysics, I would choose applied physics because it is less restrictive. It will allow you more freedom to explore your options.

4. Dec 21, 2013 #3
    How is it restricted? And what would my options be with biophysics?

How is the employment situation? The last thing I would want is end up as a hospital engineer or something..

5. Dec 21, 2013 #4

esuna

Gold Member

It looks like that is a master's program, correct? With a master's in Bio-physics, usually the purpose is to begin a 2-3 year residency at a hospital in order to be qualified to work in the oncology department of a hospital. At least, that is mostly what I have seen when I have researched biomedical physics. It doesn't seem like a bad way to go, if you would like that.

6. Dec 22, 2013 #5
    Does anybody know about nanotechnology?

Is the field good for employment and are there many opportunities? Is it hard to get in?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook