1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Entire function

1. May 24, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    suppose that f is an entire function and that lim z->inf. f(z)=inf.
    show that the image of f is all of C

2. Relevant equations
    I know that f(z) must have isolated values

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think the approach should be to pick an arbitrary value w in C and show that there is a z such that f(z)=w... but I don't know where to go from there

2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Suppose f(z) is never equal to w. Then what kinds of things can you say about g(z)=1/(f(z)-w)?

4. May 24, 2010 #3
    lets see, if f(z) never equals w, then g(z) is analytic everywhere on C. Then, as z approaches infinity, g(z) approaches 0 because f(z) approaches infinity. I'm not sure why this is a contradiction.

5. May 24, 2010 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Think about whether g(z) might be bounded.

6. May 24, 2010 #5
    Lets see... the modulus of f is definately bounded from below by 0. If I could get it to be bounded from above that would be a contradiction b/c of the maximum modulus principle. I'm not sure how to do that though. You could say that if z if large, f is above a certain value so that g is below a certain value. Then, f has a minimum value on the remaining compact set, so that g has a maximum on that compact set. Then the max of the two would be the bound for g. Is that right?

7. May 24, 2010 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are garbling that a bit. But you've got the basic idea right. Yes, it's compactness and |f(z)|->infinity. Try and state it a little more carefully and then I'll believe you.

8. May 24, 2010 #7
    Alright, so pick an N. Then, when |z|>M for some value M, |f(z)|>N. Thus, when |z|>M, |g(z)|<1/|N-w|. When |z|<=N, then |g(z)| attains a maximum (on the boundary) because g is continuous and the disc |z|<=N is compact. Call this maximum P. Then, g(z) is bounded by max(P, 1/|N-w|). But, g is entire, so by the max-modulus principle g is constant. Then, f must also be constant because w is fixed. This is a contradiction. Does that sound better?

9. May 24, 2010 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Does |f(z)|>N really imply that 1/|f(z)-w|<1/|N-w|? Suppose N=1, f(z)=1.01*i and w=i. You are just being really sloppy. Shouldn't your choice of N somehow involve |w|?

10. May 25, 2010 #9
    Lets see, if |f|>N, then |g|=1/|f-w|. By the triangle inequality, |f-w|>||f|-|w||>||N|-|w||
    I could let N=S|w|, so that then |f-w|>||N|-|w||=||S||w|-|w||=|S-1|
    Then, |g(z)|=1/|f-w|<1/(S-1). I don't get why having |w| in the bound of g(z) is a problem.

11. May 25, 2010 #10
    Oh, maybe I need that N>|w|?

12. May 25, 2010 #11

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

N>2|w| will do it, won't it? Then |g(z)|<1/|w|.

13. May 25, 2010 #12
    Okay, so if I let N>2|w|, then my argument will work?

14. May 25, 2010 #13

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook