Entropy as a function of a density operator?

In summary, the problem involves a harmonic oscillator with energy eigenstates |n> and the state |\psi> = \frac{1}{cosh r}\sum_n tanh^nr|n\rangle where r is any real number. The task is to calculate the entropy S(\rho) = -Tr(\rho ln\rho) for \rho = |\psi\rangle\langle \psi|, given the hint to write it in terms of the eigenvalues of \rho. The density operator \rho is written out explicitly as \frac{1}{cosh^2r}\sum\tanh^2^nr|n\rangle\langle n|. The matrix representation of \rho can be found by choosing a vector representation
jeebs
I've got this problem about a harmonic oscillator with energy eigenstates |n>, which is prepared in the state

[tex] |\psi> = \frac{1}{cosh r}\sum_n tanh^nr|n\rangle [/tex] where r is any real number and the sum is from n=0 to infinity.

I'm asked to calculate the entropy [tex] S(\rho) = -Tr(\rho ln\rho) [/tex] if [tex] \rho = |\psi\rangle\langle \psi| [/tex].
I'm given the hint that I should write [tex] S(\rho) [/tex] in terms of the eigenvalues of [tex] \rho[/tex].

So, the first thing I've done is written out my density operator more explicitly:

[tex] \rho = |\psi\rangle\langle \psi| = \frac{1}{cosh^2r}\sum\tanh^2^nr|n\rangle\langle n|[/tex]

but I'm not even sure about this because, when I've written out the bra I wasn't sure what happens with the complex conjugates of cosh and tanh, so I don't even know if I'm justified in simply squaring them.

Anyway, I come to the hint now, "write S in terms of the eigenvalues of the density operator".
However, when I've been asked to calculate eigenvalues before I've always been given a matrix, say X, and done [tex] X|\phi\rangle = \lambda|\phi\rangle [/tex] with [tex] |\phi\rangle = \left(\begin{array}{c}\phi_1&\phi_2\end{array}\right) [/tex]
to find the eigenvalues and eigenstates.
I'm not sure how to get an eigenvalue equation set up in the first place to find my eigenvalues here, since I'm not told what the matrix representation of [tex]\rho[/tex] is.

The one thing I've tried, but I'm not sure about, is saying
[tex] \rho|\phi\rangle = \lambda|\phi\rangle = \frac{1}{cosh^2r}\sum_n\tanh^2^nr|n\rangle\langle n|\phi\rangle[/tex]

and if I say [tex] \langle n|\phi\rangle = \delta\_n_\phi[/tex]

then I get [tex] \frac{1}{cosh^2r}\sum_n\tanh^2^nr|n\rangle = \lambda|n\rangle[/tex]
so I can cancel the |n> off both sides. I'm not too confident in this though...although it does give me infinite numbers of eigenvalues, which is nice...

Assuming all this is somehow correct though, I'm at the trace part and not sure how to work all that into [tex] Tr(\rho ln\rho) = \sum_j\langle\phi_j|\rho ln\rho|\phi_j\rangle [/tex].

Not sure how to tackle this...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
jeebs said:
I've got this problem about a harmonic oscillator with energy eigenstates |n>, which is prepared in the state

[tex] |\psi> = \frac{1}{cosh r}\sum_n tanh^nr|n\rangle [/tex] where r is any real number and the sum is from n=0 to infinity.

I'm asked to calculate the entropy [tex] S(\rho) = -Tr(\rho ln\rho) [/tex] if [tex] \rho = |\psi\rangle\langle \psi| [/tex].
I'm given the hint that I should write [tex] S(\rho) [/tex] in terms of the eigenvalues of [tex] \rho[/tex].

So, the first thing I've done is written out my density operator more explicitly:

[tex] \rho = |\psi\rangle\langle \psi| = \frac{1}{cosh^2r}\sum\tanh^2^nr|n\rangle\langle n|[/tex]

There are two sums involved:

[tex] |\psi\rangle\langle \psi| = \frac{1}{cosh^2r}\sum_{n,n'} \tanh^{n+n'}r|n\rangle\langle n'|.[/tex]
but I'm not even sure about this because, when I've written out the bra I wasn't sure what happens with the complex conjugates of cosh and tanh, so I don't even know if I'm justified in simply squaring them.

Remember that r is real.

Anyway, I come to the hint now, "write S in terms of the eigenvalues of the density operator".
However, when I've been asked to calculate eigenvalues before I've always been given a matrix, say X, and done [tex] X|\phi\rangle = \lambda|\phi\rangle [/tex] with [tex] |\phi\rangle = \left(\begin{array}{c}\phi_1&\phi_2\end{array}\right) [/tex]
to find the eigenvalues and eigenstates.
I'm not sure how to get an eigenvalue equation set up in the first place to find my eigenvalues here, since I'm not told what the matrix representation of [tex]\rho[/tex] is.

You find the matrix representation by choosing a vector representation for the states [tex]|n\rangle[/tex]

[tex] |0\rangle = \begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 0 \\ \vdots \\ 0 \end{pmatrix},
|1\rangle = \begin{pmatrix}0\\ 1 \\ 0 \\ \vdots \\ 0 \end{pmatrix}, \ldots[/tex]

Then

[tex] \rho = \frac{1}{\cosh^2r} \begin{pmatrix} 1 & \tanh r & \cdots \\ \tanh r & \tanh^2 r & \cdots \\ \vdots & \vdots & \cdots \end{pmatrix}. [/tex]

The one thing I've tried, but I'm not sure about, is saying

[tex] \rho|\phi\rangle = \lambda|\phi\rangle = \frac{1}{cosh^2r}\sum_n\tanh^2^nr|n\rangle\langle n|\phi\rangle[/tex]

and if I say [tex] \langle n|\phi\rangle = \delta\_n_\phi[/tex]

The eigenvectors are certainly not orthonormal to the [tex]|n\rangle[/tex].

Looking at 2x2 and 3x3 matrices of this form, it looks like there's only one nonzero eigenvalue. If you can somehow show this for the general case, you can formally introduce the matrix that diagonalizes [tex]\rho[/tex] into the trace to use the hint.

1. What is entropy as a function of a density operator?

Entropy as a function of a density operator is a measure of the uncertainty or disorder in a quantum system. It is calculated using the density operator, which is a mathematical representation of the state of a quantum system.

2. How is entropy related to the density operator?

Entropy is related to the density operator through the von Neumann entropy formula, which is S = -Tr(ρ ln ρ). This formula calculates the entropy of a system using the density operator ρ.

3. What is the physical interpretation of entropy as a function of a density operator?

The physical interpretation of entropy as a function of a density operator is that it represents the degree of disorder or uncertainty in a quantum system. A higher entropy value indicates a more disordered or uncertain state, while a lower entropy value indicates a more ordered or certain state.

4. How does the concept of entropy as a function of a density operator relate to thermodynamics?

In thermodynamics, entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a macroscopic system. In quantum mechanics, entropy as a function of a density operator is a measure of the uncertainty in a microscopic system. However, both concepts are related through the concept of information, as both entropy and information are measures of uncertainty.

5. Can entropy as a function of a density operator be negative?

No, entropy as a function of a density operator cannot be negative. This is because the density operator only contains non-negative eigenvalues, and the von Neumann entropy formula does not allow for negative values. Therefore, entropy as a function of a density operator is always a non-negative quantity.