Understanding the Equation for Measuring Strain on a Cantilever Beam

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of an equation to measure the strain on a cantilever beam. The equation is derived by combining equations for strain and deformation, and can be found in various resources such as online courses and textbooks on continuum mechanics. The original equation is a 4th order differential expression, but can be simplified for practical use.
JSBeckton
I have a lab where we used the following equation to theroretically measure the strain on a cantilever beam heald stationary at the left end. Measuring back from the right side its length is L2 and the length from the free (right) end to the point where the strain gagues were was L1

(fixed end)________________________(free end)

L2=whole length
L1=length from free end to measured point.
t=thichness

strain=(3L1)(t)(deformation)
______ 2(L2)^3

I know the equation for strain is deformation over L2 but can't seem to wrap my head around how they derived this equation.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
The end deformation of a cantilever loaded by force P is

[tex]\delta=\frac{PL^3}{3EI}[/tex]

The strain on the surface of a beam in bending mode is

[tex]\epsilon=\frac{My}{EI}=\frac{Mt}{2EI}[/tex]

where the moment M is

[tex]M=L_1P[/tex]

Put these together and you'll have the equation you were trying to derive.

Thanks a lot, can't believe I didn't see that!

DO you know where I can find a derivation of the deformation equation?

Thanks

Lots of places. Try:

online course work:
http://www.clarkson.edu/class/es22201/
(chapter 9 is beam bending)

Mathematics applied to continuum mechanics, Segel
Theory of elasticity, Landau and Lif****z (vol. 7)

The original equation is a 4-th order inhomogeneous differential expression. After simplifying (thin rod, equilibrium deformation, etc), the equation is easily solved.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got it, thanks.

1. What is the equation for measuring strain?

The equation for measuring strain is ε = (ΔL/L), where ε is the strain, ΔL is the change in length of the material, and L is the original length of the material.

2. How is the equation for measuring strain derived?

The equation for measuring strain is derived from Hooke's Law, which states that the strain of a material is directly proportional to the stress applied to it.

3. What units are used in the equation for measuring strain?

The equation for measuring strain is unitless, as it is a ratio of two lengths. However, the units for strain can be expressed in percentage or parts per million (ppm).

4. What is the significance of measuring strain in materials?

Measuring strain in materials is important for understanding how they respond to stress and for predicting their behavior under different conditions. It is useful in designing and testing materials for various applications.

5. Can the equation for measuring strain be applied to all materials?

Yes, the equation for measuring strain can be applied to all materials, as long as they exhibit linear elasticity. However, the specific values for strain may vary depending on the material's properties.