Solving Acceleration Problems with Variables Explained

In summary, acceleration is being discussed and three equations are given: v=V(not) + at, x=V(not)t + 1/2at(Squared), and V(Squared) =V(not) + 2ax. The variables are explained to be distance, time, velocity, and acceleration, with V(not) representing the initial velocity. Two problems are presented, one involving a car's stopping distance and the other involving a stone's maximum height when thrown upwards. The steps for solving the problems are discussed, including choosing the appropriate equation and plugging in the given variables. The importance of units is also mentioned as a method for double-checking the calculations. The conversation ends with some clarification on the driver's reaction time
Firebird
Hello!

in Physics we just started acceleration

We were givin 3 equations

v=V(not) + at

x=V(not)t + 1/2at(Squared)

V(Squared) =V(not) + 2ax

Can someone please explain the variables and how to figure them out.

With those equations I need to figure problems like this

The speed limit in a school zone is 44 km/h. A driver traveling at this speed sees a child run onto the road 11 m ahead of his car. He applies the brakes, and the car decelerates at a uniform rate of 10.5 m/s2. If the driver's reaction time is 0.65 s, will the car stop before hitting the child?

YES OR NO
What is the stopping distance of the vehicle in m?

And

A boy throws a stone straight upward with an initial speed of 18 m/s. What maximum height will the stone reach before falling back down

I really don't know where to start. I normally start listing the varables like
V=
a=
t=
x=

But I do not understand what numbers to put in which areas, :confused:

Thank you very much

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, to help you out a bit.

x is a distance in meters
t is a time in seconds
V is a velocity in meters/second
a is an acceleration in meters/second squared.

Also, V(not) for this problem is the initial velocity given.

Think it through, this is a very simple problem.

Thanks
Matt

Thank you for your help Matt.

How do I figure out time, if I only get 3/5 or 2/4 varibles?

You are given the time. t = 0.65 seconds. I think you are misreading the problem. You are not calculating a time, you are calculating a distance. You need to determine if the driver stops within 11 meters. Not the time required for the driver to stop.

Make sense?

Thanks
Matt

CFDFEAGURU said:
You are given the time. t = 0.65 seconds. I think you are misreading the problem. You are not calculating a time, you are calculating a distance. You need to determine if the driver stops within 11 meters. Not the time required for the driver to stop.

Make sense?

Thanks
Matt

I put the following

x=11
T=0.65
a=10.5 m/s(squared)
v=44 km/h

Now I would have to plug the above into one of these

v=V(not) + at

x=V(not)t + 1/2at(Squared)

V(Squared) =V(not) + 2ax

This is where I get confused.

I do not know which equation to use. I am thinking I would use
V(Squared) =V(not) + 2ax

Because it is the only one with an X

So if I plug in the variables I would get

44=0 + 2(10.5x)

44 = 21x

x=2

So the distance would be 2m?

Gosh I am confused lol

Thanks again !

You are solving for a distance, x, so use the equation that produces the distance, x, as the result.

Thanks
Matt

CFDFEAGURU said:
You are solving for a distance, x, so use the equation that produces the distance, x, as the result.

Thanks
Matt

So that would be x= v(not)t+1/2at(squared)

?

Yes, that is the one. Also, as a check, make sure all of your units cancel to produce meters.

Thanks
Matt

the driver's reaction time is not the time taken till the velocity reaches zero, you can find the time using the first equation:
v=vo + at

[don’t forget to subtract the driver's reaction time from the calculated time]

Yes. That is correct.

Thanks
Matt

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is a physical quantity that measures the rate of change of an object's velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. Acceleration is commonly measured in units of meters per second squared (m/s²).

2. How do you calculate acceleration?

Acceleration can be calculated using the formula a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time. Another way to calculate acceleration is using the formula a = F/m, where F is the net force acting on an object and m is the mass of the object.

3. What is the difference between average acceleration and instantaneous acceleration?

Average acceleration is the change in velocity over a specific time interval, while instantaneous acceleration is the change in velocity at a specific moment in time. Average acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the time interval, while instantaneous acceleration is calculated by taking the derivative of the velocity-time graph at a specific point.

4. How do variables affect acceleration?

Variables such as mass and net force can affect acceleration. The greater the mass of an object, the more force is needed to accelerate it. Similarly, the greater the net force acting on an object, the greater the acceleration will be. In addition, the direction of the net force also affects the direction of acceleration.

5. How can acceleration problems with variables be solved?

To solve acceleration problems with variables, it is important to first identify and define all relevant variables. Then, use the appropriate formula to calculate acceleration, making sure to convert units if necessary. It is also helpful to draw a diagram and label all known values to better visualize the problem. Finally, plug in the values and solve for the unknown variable.