Equation of a hyperbola with some info given

• Thread starter jOANIE
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hyperbola
In summary, the task is to write the equation of a hyperbola with a vertical transverse axis and a center at the origin. The equations of the asymptotes are 6x+2y=0 and 6x-2y=0. However, without further information, a specific hyperbola cannot be defined. It is suggested to follow a general equation (x^2)/(a^2)-(y^2)/(b^2)=1 and use the given asymptotes to solve for the values of a and b.
jOANIE

Homework Statement

Write the equatin of the hyperbola whose center is at the origin and has a vertical transverse axis.

Homework Equations

The equations of the asymptotes are 6x+2y=0 and 6x-2y=0

The Attempt at a Solution

I am good at following an example (am an adult who is learning math on own).
However, I cannot find an example like this one and I really have no idea of where to begin.
Could you give me an example that is like this problem worked out and then I will follow it to do this problem? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The information given is not enough to define a specific hyperbola. Perhaps the question asked to write the equation of a hyperbola satisfying these conditions.

Yes, I think you are right--the directions were to write the equation of a hyperbola satisfying these conditions. Can you help?

In general, if a hyperbola has the equation (x^2)/(a^2)-(y^2)/(b^2)=1, then for large x and y, 1 will be negligible, so that we have (x^2)(b^2/a^2)=y^2. In the limit that x and y become "infinite," this defines the relation between the two, and acts as an asymptote.

What is the equation of a hyperbola?

The equation of a hyperbola is a mathematical representation of a curved shape that has two branches that are symmetrical with respect to the x and y axes. It can be written in the form (x-h)^2/a^2 - (y-k)^2/b^2 = 1 or (y-k)^2/a^2 - (x-h)^2/b^2 = 1, where (h,k) is the center of the hyperbola and a and b are the lengths of the semi-major and semi-minor axes, respectively.

What information is needed to write the equation of a hyperbola?

To write the equation of a hyperbola, you need the coordinates of the center point (h,k) and the lengths of the semi-major and semi-minor axes (a and b). In some cases, you may also need the distance between the foci (c) or the distance between the vertices (2a).

Can a hyperbola have a vertical or horizontal orientation?

Yes, a hyperbola can have either a vertical or horizontal orientation. The orientation is determined by the placement of the semi-major and semi-minor axes. If the semi-major axis is along the x-axis, the hyperbola is horizontal. If the semi-major axis is along the y-axis, the hyperbola is vertical.

What is the role of the eccentricity in the equation of a hyperbola?

The eccentricity (e) of a hyperbola is a measure of its flatness. It is defined as the ratio of the distance between the center of the hyperbola and either of the foci (c) to the length of the semi-major axis (a). In the equation of a hyperbola, the eccentricity is represented by the term c/a. A lower eccentricity indicates a more elongated hyperbola, while a higher eccentricity indicates a flatter hyperbola.

How can the equation of a hyperbola be used in real life?

The equation of a hyperbola has many real-life applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy. For example, it can be used to describe the motion of particles in a magnetic field, the trajectory of a spacecraft, or the shape of a galaxy. It can also be used to analyze data in economics, biology, and other fields.