1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equation of a hyperbola with some info given

1. Mar 25, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Write the equatin of the hyperbola whose center is at the origin and has a vertical transverse axis.

2. Relevant equations
    The equations of the asymptotes are 6x+2y=0 and 6x-2y=0

3. The attempt at a solution

I am good at following an example (am an adult who is learning math on own).
    However, I cannot find an example like this one and I really have no idea of where to begin.
    Could you give me an example that is like this problem worked out and then I will follow it to do this problem? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2009 #2
    The information given is not enough to define a specific hyperbola. Perhaps the question asked to write the equation of a hyperbola satisfying these conditions.

4. Mar 25, 2009 #3
    Yes, I think you are right--the directions were to write the equation of a hyperbola satisfying these conditions. Can you help?

5. Mar 25, 2009 #4
    In general, if a hyperbola has the equation (x^2)/(a^2)-(y^2)/(b^2)=1, then for large x and y, 1 will be negligible, so that we have (x^2)(b^2/a^2)=y^2. In the limit that x and y become "infinite," this defines the relation between the two, and acts as an asymptote.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook