Equation of line bisecting two others

• Thread starter ps098
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Line
In summary, the individual is struggling to find the correct angle for a red line that bisects two tangents in a graph. The solution is to add 180 degrees to the angle of the first line and then find the angle halfway between the two tangents. This formula should still work even if the baseline has a negative slope.
ps098
Hi everyone, this will probably be very easy for someone but I'm really struggling to get this to work. I have experimental data whose baseline and peak midpoints I have fitted tangents to, and I have found the points where they intersect. I now want to find the red line which bisects these two tangents, but whatever I do the plot comes out at completely the wrong angle. I have included an example, with my beautiful handwritten workings (lol).

graphjpg.jpg

If anyone can help, I'd really appreaciate it, my MSc will be all the better for it :D

Cheers

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Well. Let's say your first line has slope m1, and your second m2 (both positive in the example graph). A line with slope m1 is slanted at angle arctan(m1) to the horizontal. You, however, want to think of this first line as heading down and left, so you should add pi radians or 180 degrees to it. Your two lines, then, are at angles

[tex]
\begin{eqnarray*}
\theta_1 & = & \arctan{(m_1)}+180 \\
\theta_2 & = & \arctan{(m_2)}
\end{eqnarray*}
[/tex]

The line you wants heads at an angle halfway inbetween

[tex]
\theta_b = \frac{\theta_1+\theta_2}{2}
[/tex]

and its slope is [itex]m_b=\tan(\theta_b)[/itex], which will be negative. Find a line with that slope that goes through the intersection point.

Thanks ever so much for that, I've been staring at the thing for literally hours trying to figure out what was wrong with my equation - always good to get a fresh brain on the problem!

One thing I can't figure out, will this formula still apply if the baseline is at a negative slope?

ps098 said:
One thing I can't figure out, will this formula still apply if the baseline is at a negative slope?
As long as your arctan function returns a negative angle for a negative argument (and I've never met one that doesn't), it should work. I guess you could in theory run into a problem in which the bisecting line is vertical and has infinite slope. That would take very bad luck.

Another possibility, which I just advised someone else to try, would to be use the two-argument form of the arc tangent function, [itex]\theta_1=\arctan(-1,-m_1)[/itex]. Then you don't have to add 180.

Hello there,

I understand that you are trying to find the equation of the line that bisects two tangents on a graph. This can be achieved by using the midpoint formula, which states that the midpoint of a line segment is the average of its endpoints. In this case, the endpoints would be the points where the two tangents intersect.

To find the midpoint, you can use the formula (x1 + x2)/2 and (y1 + y2)/2, where (x1,y1) and (x2,y2) are the coordinates of the two intersecting points. Once you have the midpoint, you can find the slope of the bisecting line by taking the negative reciprocal of the slope of one of the tangents. The equation of the bisecting line would then be in the form y = mx + b, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept.

I hope this helps you in finding the equation of the bisecting line. Best of luck with your MSc!

Related to Equation of line bisecting two others

What is the equation of a line that bisects two other lines?

The equation of a line that bisects two other lines is found by taking the average of the slopes of the two lines and using the midpoint formula to find the coordinates of the point where the bisector intersects the two lines.

How do you find the slope of a line that bisects two others?

To find the slope of the line that bisects two other lines, you need to first find the slopes of the two lines. Then, take the average of these two slopes by adding them together and dividing by 2. This average slope will be the slope of the bisecting line.

What is the midpoint formula and how is it used to find the coordinates of the point of intersection?

The midpoint formula is (x1 + x2)/2, (y1 + y2)/2. This formula is used to find the coordinates of the point where the bisector intersects the two lines. Simply plug in the coordinates of the two points where the lines intersect and solve for x and y.

Can a line bisect two other lines at more than one point?

Yes, it is possible for a line to bisect two other lines at more than one point. This occurs when the bisector is parallel to one of the original lines. In this case, the bisector will intersect the other line at the midpoint between the two points where the original line intersects.

What is the significance of a line bisecting two other lines?

When a line bisects two other lines, it divides them into two equal parts. This can be useful in geometry and trigonometry to find angles and distances. It also has real-world applications, such as in construction and engineering, when dividing a line or shape into equal parts is necessary.