Equation Rearrangement problem(I think)

• Thread starter ZenMode
  • Start date
In summary: Thank you for your understanding. In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine the values of x and y in the equation v=kg^xr^y, which represents the escape velocity for a tomahawk missile leaving the gravitational pull of the Earth. The equation is based on the dimensions of acceleration and distance, and the values of x and y must be chosen so that both sides of the equation have the same dimensions. The conversation also brings up the possibility of g representing the acceleration due to gravity, and provides a possible solution if it is actually the gravitational constant G.
ZenMode

Homework Statement

The escape velocity for tomahawk missile is which escape the gravitational attraction of the Earth is expressed by

v=kg^xr^y
r= radius of Earth , g = acceleration due to gravity k,x,y=dimensionless constants
Determine values for x and y

Homework Equations

I know velocity is displacement/time , and acceleration is velocity/time, however I have no idea how this relates to the question. Since there are no exact values given, I'm pretty sure I have to isolate x and y.

The Attempt at a Solution

v=kg^xr^y

kg^xr^y/kr^y = v/kr^y

g^x=v/kr^y
[/B]
This is where I got stuck.Based on the equation above, then kr^y is the value for Time. I have no idea how I'm supposed to isolate the x and y. And I'm not even sure I'm approaching this question correctly

Physics news on Phys.org
Use dimensional analysis. What are the dimensions of acceleration multiplied by distance?

You need to find values of x and y so that the left-hand side and the right-hand side of v = kgxry have the same dimensions.

For example, suppose you were to let x = 1 and y = 1. What would be the dimensions of the right-hand side?

TSny said:
You need to find values of x and y so that the left-hand side and the right-hand side of v = kgxry have the same dimensions.

For example, suppose you were to let x = 1 and y = 1. What would be the dimensions of the right-hand side?

Wouldn't that break the rules of the question?
The question never did say x and y are equal.

ZenMode said:
r= radius of Earth , g = acceleration due to gravity k,x,y=dimensionless constants
are you sure that g in that equation is g the acceleration . not G the gravitational constant
i think its G
becouse the escape velocity Ve=(2GM/r)0.5
and you can rearange that to get :
eguation.jpg

i guess its not that simple

ZenMode said:
The question never did say x and y are equal.
True. But it never said they couldn't be equal either. :oldsmile:
Anyway, in solving the problem you will determine whether or not they happen to be equal.

Hello, patric44. It appears from the statement of the problem that g represents the acceleration due to gravity (apparently at the surface of the earth).

When helping someone with a question, please don't provide a complete solution. This is against the rules of the forum. Try to provide just enough assistance to get the questioner on track. Thanks.

TSny said:
Hello, patric44. It appears from the statement of the problem that g represents the acceleration due to gravity (apparently at the surface of the earth).

When helping someone with a question, please don't provide a complete solution. This is against the rules of the forum. Try to provide just enough assistance to get the questioner on track. Thanks.

i don't think that a truly complete solution i mean its only one equation.
i only wanted to show him if it was G it will be much simpler ... sorry any way :)

TSny said:
Noted.

What is an equation rearrangement problem?

An equation rearrangement problem is a type of mathematical problem where you are given an equation and must manipulate it to solve for a specific variable. This involves changing the order of terms, combining like terms, and using algebraic operations to isolate the desired variable.

Why are equation rearrangement problems important?

Equation rearrangement problems are important because they help develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills. They also provide a foundation for more complex mathematical concepts and equations.

What strategies can be used to solve equation rearrangement problems?

There are several strategies that can be used to solve equation rearrangement problems, including identifying and combining like terms, isolating the desired variable by performing inverse operations, and using substitution or elimination methods.

What are some common mistakes when solving equation rearrangement problems?

Common mistakes when solving equation rearrangement problems include forgetting to perform inverse operations, dropping negative signs, and making arithmetic errors. It is important to carefully check your work and use multiple methods to confirm the solution.

How can I improve my skills in solving equation rearrangement problems?

Practice is the key to improving your skills in solving equation rearrangement problems. Start with simpler equations and gradually work your way up to more complex ones. It can also be helpful to review fundamental algebraic concepts and strategies.