Equation related with operators

• Thread starter gotjrgkr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Operators
V^{\dagger} \psi) = (x, V\psi) = \langle x \lvert V \lvert \psi \rangleIn summary, the conversation discusses the use of the Schrodinger's equation and Hamiltonian operator in obtaining the equation of motion. The concept of eigenstates and the application of completeness property are also mentioned. The conversation ends with a request for further clarification on the use of Dirac notation.
gotjrgkr
Hi! I was studying Shankar's Principles of Quantum Mechanics, but I was stuck to understand a relation concerned with operators.

Homework Statement

I've learned that in order to get the equation of motion, I should apply the Schrodinger's equation to the given Hamiltonian operator. In the book, it is said that a state function [itex]\lvert\psi(t)\rangle[/itex] is represented by a product of the propagator and the initial state function [itex]\lvert\psi(0)\rangle[/itex] for a time-independent Hamiltonian operator.

In p. 149 of the book, to get the propagator expressed as eigenstates of the Hamiltonian operator, a way is introduced to get those eigenfunctions. More specifically, the Hamiltonian operator given in p.149 is [itex]H=\frac{P^2}{2m} + \frac{1}{\cosh^2 X}[/itex] where X is the position operator. Then the eigenstates [itex]\lvert E\rangle[/itex] should satisfy [itex]H\lvert E\rangle = E \lvert E\rangle[/itex]. If I put bra ##\langle x \rvert ## to both sides of the equation, then ##\langle x \rvert H \lvert E \rangle = \langle x \rvert E \lvert E\rangle##. This implies according to the book,
$$\left(-\frac{\hbar^2}{2m} \frac{d^2}{dx^2}+\frac{1}{\cosh^2 x}\right)\psi_E(x) = E\psi_E(x)$$ where ##\psi_E(x) = \langle x \vert E \rangle ##.

What I want to know is as follows. I think the above equation makes sense only if I show ##\langle x \rvert \frac{1}{\cosh^2 X} \lvert E\rangle = \frac{1}{\cosh^2 x} \langle x \vert E\rangle## (I've omitted other terms). However, I don't have an idea how to prove it. Even though I try to use completeness property, it's not easy. Could you give me a hint?

I think this kind of relation should hold generally. What I mean is for any potential operator V(X), if I put ##\langle x \rvert## and ##\lvert E \rangle## to both sides of it, I should get ##V(x)\langle x \vert E\rangle##. Am I right? I want to check this as well. (Be careful in distinguishing the letters X, x.)

I hope somebody else answer my question. Thank you for reading my long question.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps this trick can be of use to you:

[tex]\langle x \lvert V(X) \lvert \psi\rangle = \langle \psi\lvert V(X)\lvert x\rangle^* = V(x) \langle \psi\lvert x \rangle^* = V(x) \langle x\lvert \psi \rangle[/tex]

Last edited:
For me, the second equality is still mystery... ;;
Could you give me more hint??

All it is is the definition of the adjoint of V (which is V itself because V is self-adjoint).

Shankar p.26 :smile:

btw I find the "math notation" to be clearer than the Dirac notation for this kind of thing:

[tex]\langle x \lvert V \lvert \psi \rangle = (x, V\psi) = (V^{\dagger} x, \psi) = (Vx, \psi) [/tex]

Related to Equation related with operators

Question 1: What is an operator in an equation?

An operator in an equation is a symbol or function that performs a specific mathematical operation on one or more operands. Common operators include addition (+), subtraction (-), multiplication (*), and division (/).

Question 2: What is the purpose of using operators in equations?

The purpose of using operators in equations is to represent and perform mathematical operations. They allow us to manipulate numerical values and variables to solve equations and find unknown values.

Question 3: What is the order of operations for equations with multiple operators?

The order of operations, also known as PEMDAS, is used to determine the sequence in which operations should be performed in an equation. The acronym stands for Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication and Division (from left to right), and Addition and Subtraction (from left to right).

Question 4: Can equations have multiple operators of the same type?

Yes, equations can have multiple operators of the same type. For example, an equation may have multiple addition or multiplication operations. In these cases, the order of operations should be followed to determine the correct sequence of operations.

Question 5: How do I know if an equation is correct?

An equation is considered correct if both sides of the equation are equal after performing all of the mathematical operations. This means that the value of the variable on one side of the equation should be the same as the value of the variable on the other side of the equation.