Equation to calculate absorbed dose of radiation?

• Thread starter Littlegirloud
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Radiation
In summary, the absorbed dose of radiation for tissue can be calculated by dividing the mean energy absorbed by the mass of the tissue. In this case, the result is 7 J kg-1, or 7000 J kg-1 when equating the mass to kilograms. The final value of 7000 J kg-1 is accurate and there may have been a mistake in the previous calculation.
Littlegirloud

Homework Statement

Calculate the absorbed dose of radiation for tissue that suffers a mean energy absorbed of 420 Joules in a quantity of tissue that has a mass of 60g.

Homework Equations

This is really my question. No relevant equation is provided in these materials so my independent research (and the data given) suggests I could use D = E/M, but is that the most appropriate?

The Attempt at a Solution

D = E\M
D = 420/60
D = 7
D = 7 J kg-1

Physics news on Phys.org
Radiation dose is generally reported in terms of mean energy deposited per unit mass.

You might want to double check the 60 g vs kg though.

I've checked again and it is definitely 60 grams. Does that mean I need to equate the tissue dose to kg so it tallies with the final measure?

Perhaps?
D = E\M
D = 420/0.06
D = 7
D = 7000 J kg-1

Littlegirloud said:
I've checked again and it is definitely 60 grams. Does that mean I need to equate the tissue dose to kg so it tallies with the final measure?

Perhaps?
D = E\M
D = 420/0.06
D = 7
D = 7000 J kg-1
The final value looks good. I don't know what happened in the second to last line though.

1. What is the equation used to calculate absorbed dose of radiation?

The equation used to calculate absorbed dose of radiation is:
D = E/m
where D is the absorbed dose, E is the energy of the radiation, and m is the mass of the material being irradiated.

2. How is absorbed dose of radiation measured?

Absorbed dose of radiation is typically measured using a dosimeter, which is a device that can quantify the amount of radiation absorbed by a substance or organism.

3. What is the unit of measurement for absorbed dose of radiation?

The unit of measurement for absorbed dose of radiation is the gray (Gy). One gray is equal to one joule of energy absorbed by one kilogram of matter.

4. How does the absorbed dose of radiation affect living organisms?

The absorbed dose of radiation can have various effects on living organisms depending on the amount and type of radiation. Exposure to high levels of radiation can cause cell damage, DNA mutations, and even death. However, low levels of radiation can be beneficial in certain medical treatments.

5. Are there different equations for calculating absorbed dose of radiation for different types of radiation?

Yes, there are different equations for calculating absorbed dose of radiation for different types of radiation. For example, the equation for calculating absorbed dose from beta radiation is different from the equation for calculating absorbed dose from gamma radiation. It is important to use the correct equation for the specific type of radiation being measured.