Equation to calculate absorbed dose of radiation?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Littlegirloud
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Radiation
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
Littlegirloud
Messages
6
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Calculate the absorbed dose of radiation for tissue that suffers a mean energy absorbed of 420 Joules in a quantity of tissue that has a mass of 60g.

Homework Equations


This is really my question. No relevant equation is provided in these materials so my independent research (and the data given) suggests I could use D = E/M, but is that the most appropriate?

The Attempt at a Solution


D = E\M
D = 420/60
D = 7
D = 7 J kg-1
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Radiation dose is generally reported in terms of mean energy deposited per unit mass.

You might want to double check the 60 g vs kg though.
 
I've checked again and it is definitely 60 grams. Does that mean I need to equate the tissue dose to kg so it tallies with the final measure?

Perhaps?
D = E\M
D = 420/0.06
D = 7
D = 7000 J kg-1
 
Littlegirloud said:
I've checked again and it is definitely 60 grams. Does that mean I need to equate the tissue dose to kg so it tallies with the final measure?

Perhaps?
D = E\M
D = 420/0.06
D = 7
D = 7000 J kg-1
The final value looks good. I don't know what happened in the second to last line though.