Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equations explaining pressure drop across an air filter

1. Dec 22, 2016 #1
    Hi all,
    I'm having a Kaiser compressor producing compressed air for my garage. I've installed a FRL unit at point of use. I understand that the filter medium adsorbs atmospheric dust, moisture and oil particles in compressed air. Gradually the pressure drop across the filter builds up and I need to replace the filter element.

Are there any equations which help me build a model for an ideal case, so that I can analyze the conditions that lead to failure of the element? My point of use equipment is really sensitive to moisture and begins rusting easily. If I develop an ideal model, and predict when my filter would fail, I can prevent my end use equipment breakdown!

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 25, 2016 #2
    I think it's going to be hard to make any sort of accurate model and have it turn out in the real world.. My best suggestion would be to put a pressure drop monitor on it to indicate when it's getting clogged.

I once worked in a urethane shop (urethane is very moisture sensitive), and they had all sorts of problems with humidity in the lines. I had a DeVilbiss permeable membrane air drier we installed and it completely got rid of the moisture.. It does leak a certain amount of air continually, which may make it unsuitable for some applications.. I tried to find pictures of it but wasn't able to (This was 15years ago)...
    The first stage was a water separator to get rid of liquid water drops
    Second stage was a coalescer, which removes oil
    Third stage was the membrane, which I suspect was something along the lines of "Gore Tex", allowing water vapor to pass through it, but not air

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted