Equations explaining pressure drop across an air filter

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a Kaiser compressor and FRL unit to produce compressed air for a garage. The speaker is concerned about the filter element in the FRL unit becoming clogged and causing issues with moisture and rust in their point of use equipment. They are looking for equations or a model to predict when the filter may fail, but another speaker suggests using a pressure drop monitor instead. The second speaker also shares their experience using a DeVilbiss permeable membrane air drier in a moisture-sensitive environment. The drier had multiple stages, including a water separator and coalescer, and used a membrane similar to "Gore Tex" to remove water vapor from the compressed air.
donajaykrishna
Hi all,
I'm having a Kaiser compressor producing compressed air for my garage. I've installed a FRL unit at point of use. I understand that the filter medium adsorbs atmospheric dust, moisture and oil particles in compressed air. Gradually the pressure drop across the filter builds up and I need to replace the filter element.

Are there any equations which help me build a model for an ideal case, so that I can analyze the conditions that lead to failure of the element? My point of use equipment is really sensitive to moisture and begins rusting easily. If I develop an ideal model, and predict when my filter would fail, I can prevent my end use equipment breakdown!

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think it's going to be hard to make any sort of accurate model and have it turn out in the real world.. My best suggestion would be to put a pressure drop monitor on it to indicate when it's getting clogged.

I once worked in a urethane shop (urethane is very moisture sensitive), and they had all sorts of problems with humidity in the lines. I had a DeVilbiss permeable membrane air drier we installed and it completely got rid of the moisture.. It does leak a certain amount of air continually, which may make it unsuitable for some applications.. I tried to find pictures of it but wasn't able to (This was 15years ago)...
The first stage was a water separator to get rid of liquid water drops
Second stage was a coalescer, which removes oil
Third stage was the membrane, which I suspect was something along the lines of "Gore Tex", allowing water vapor to pass through it, but not air

Likes Vedward

1. What is an air filter?

An air filter is a device used to remove impurities and contaminants from the air, such as dust, pollen, and smoke. It is commonly used in HVAC systems, cars, and other machinery to improve air quality and protect the equipment from damage.

2. Why is pressure drop across an air filter important?

Pressure drop refers to the decrease in air pressure as it passes through an air filter. This is important because it indicates how much resistance the filter is creating, and a higher pressure drop can lead to decreased air flow and reduced efficiency of the system.

3. What factors affect pressure drop across an air filter?

The main factors that affect pressure drop include the type and thickness of filter material, the size and shape of the filter, and the velocity of air passing through the filter. Other factors such as humidity and temperature can also play a role.

4. How is pressure drop calculated in equations?

The most commonly used equation for calculating pressure drop across an air filter is the Darcy-Weisbach equation, which takes into account the filter's resistance, velocity, and density of the air. Other equations may also be used, depending on the specific application and conditions.

5. Can pressure drop be reduced in air filters?

Yes, pressure drop can be reduced by using a more efficient filter material, increasing the size of the filter, or reducing the air velocity. However, it is important to strike a balance between pressure drop and filtration efficiency to ensure optimal performance of the air filter system.