• Thread starter mcrr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pipe
mcrr
TL;DR Summary
Air flow using cta sensor in pipe
Dear friends.

It's my first post here and sorry if it's in wrong place.
I have a system with a diaphragm pump and a filter to collect dust. I need to set the flow (like 1 liter per minute) and I need to keep this flow constant during long time. The dust obstruct the filter and I need to make the compensation. I am trying to use the FS7 CTA sensor in a suction side of the pump to track the flow.
The idea is, set the desired flow, get the voltage of the CTA sensor as set point and use a PID to keep the set point. The problem is when I increase the air resistance and the flow decrease I speed up the motor until the set point CTA voltage, but when I measure the flow, it is higher than a have set. My doubt is if I should make a line pressure compensation when the air resistance increase to get the correct flow.
Thanks in advanced.

Engineering news on Phys.org
mcrr said:
TL;DR Summary: Air flow using cta sensor in pipe

Dear friends.

It's my first post here and sorry if it's in wrong place.
I have a system with a diaphragm pump and a filter to collect dust. I need to set the flow (like 1 liter per minute) and I need to keep this flow constant during long time. The dust obstruct the filter and I need to make the compensation. I am trying to use the FS7 CTA sensor in a suction side of the pump to track the flow.
The idea is, set the desired flow, get the voltage of the CTA sensor as set point and use a PID to keep the set point. The problem is when I increase the air resistance and the flow decrease I speed up the motor until the set point CTA voltage, but when I measure the flow, it is higher than a have set. My doubt is if I should make a line pressure compensation when the air resistance increase to get the correct flow.
Thanks in advanced.
Are you using the fan curve, with fan laws to make your adjustments?

1705340115990.png

If your objective is to maintain ##Q_{op}## as the system curve transitions from ##S_1 \to S_2## via dust accumulation on the filter, you should use the manufacturers complete set of fan curves, or (less accurately) the fan laws to make your adjustment to rpm (##\omega_1 \to \omega_2##).

Last edited:
Is the sensor a pressure transducer, or is it actually measuring the flowrate, somehow?

I attached my setup system. I am using flow meter hot wire sensor to control the pump.
20240115_162612.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
CTA = Constant Temperature Anemometry ?

Maybe the pressure is falling when the diaphragm pump is turned on, because the filter restricts flow, and that cools the air at the CTA sensor, which upsets the constant temperature of the sensor.

Move the sensor from between the pump and filter, to atmospheric pressure, at the external air outlet, or to the air inlet.

A positive displacement pump before the filter should not need a mass-airflow sensor.
Diaphragm pumps can usually handle dusty air or dirty water.

Likes dlgoff
Some questions to help us help you: The sensor should be before the air filter. Is the PID loop properly tuned? Did you try a PI controller? What is the diameter of the pipe at the point where the sensor is installed, and the air velocity past the sensor? What are you doing for flow straightening before the sensor?

mcrr said:
I attached my setup system.
Where is the filter ?

I didn't think about the "positive displacement curve" characteristics...what I drew was typical for a centrifugal pump. A PD pump, should output fairly constant flow at a given RPM regardless of system curve changes. If the filter clogs either the electric motor will slip, or the pump casing will rupture.

I've never seen a PD used in a dust collector system, but that doesn't mean a whole lot.

jrmichler said:
Some questions to help us help you: The sensor should be before the air filter. Is the PID loop properly tuned? Did you try a PI controller? What is the diameter of the pipe at the point where the sensor is installed, and the air velocity past the sensor? What are you doing for flow straightening before the
Thanks for you support jrmichier,
First of all the attached setup was create to validade my system, then the filter was changed by an air resitor, it is a valve then i can close and open to simulate filter obstruction. I can check the obstruction with the pressure gauge. I don' t have a pid, forwhile I am controlling the motor by dc power supply. The diameter of the tube is 6 mm and doesn't have any steaightening before the sensor, all the line is 6mm. I need to control the flow between 0.5 liter per minute to 5 liters to minute.

Last edited:
Baluncore said:
Where is the filter ?
The filter was changed by an air resistor, then I can simulate obstruction by opening and closing the valve.
Regards

mcrr said:
The problem is when I increase the air resistance and the flow decrease I speed up the motor until the set point CTA voltage, but when I measure the flow, it is higher than a have set.
I can see two problems here:

1) Your "air resistor" is apparently some sort of valve. A valve, any valve, disturbs the air flow. Hot wire air flow sensors do not work well with disturbed air flow. The disturbance will level out if there is a long enough length of pipe downstream from the valve. MUCH better is to have the sensor upstream from the valve.

2) How do you fit a 6.9 mm long sensor into a 6 mm tube? These sensors measure air velocity, and are designed to work in a smoothly flowing stream of air. If it is installed in a Tee fitting or an elbow, expect problems. Again, MUCH better is to have the sensor upstream from the valve. And in a straight section of pipe.

Please show us a detailed drawing or photo of the sensor installation.

Likes erobz
jrmichler said:
I can see two problems here:

1) Your "air resistor" is apparently some sort of valve. A valve, any valve, disturbs the air flow. Hot wire air flow sensors do not work well with disturbed air flow. The disturbance will level out if there is a long enough length of pipe downstream from the valve. MUCH better is to have the sensor upstream from the valve.

2) How do you fit a 6.9 mm long sensor into a 6 mm tube? These sensors measure air velocity, and are designed to work in a smoothly flowing stream of air. If it is installed in a Tee fitting or an elbow, expect problems. Again, MUCH better is to have the sensor upstream from the valve. And in a straight section of pipe.

Please show us a detailed drawing or photo of the sensor installation.
You can see my setup and sensor setup in attached files.
20240116_072950.jpg
20240116_073030.jpg
20240116_073202.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If this sensor measures gas flow temperature to determine flowrate, we expect the temperature to periodically rise and drop in a PD pump because we expect the pressure to rise and drop over the displacement. You have a pressure gauge there, have you plotted pressure vs time to see the variation across the stroke?

erobz said:
If this sensor measures gas flow temperature to determine flowrate, we expect the temperature to periodically rise and drop in a PD pump because we expect the pressure to rise and drop over the displacement. You have a pressure gauge there, have you plotted pressure vs time to see the variation across the stroke?
Hi erobz,
No, I haven't. The cta readìng is stable, the pressure have a little oscillation. I will try to get the max and min measurement of the pressure

Hi friends,

The problem here is the turbulence as jrmichler said. Now I will study about it to get the laminar flow inside the tube where sensor is. The device is small, then I don't have enough space to put the sensor far away from pump and inlet. I think a pulsation dumpner can improve the system.

Thank very much for all who have helped me.

Likes erobz

What is air flow measurement in a pipe?

Air flow measurement in a pipe refers to the process of quantifying the volume or mass of air passing through a pipe over a given period. This is crucial in various applications such as HVAC systems, industrial processes, and ventilation systems to ensure efficient and safe operation.

What are the common methods used to measure air flow in pipes?

The most common methods for measuring air flow in pipes include using differential pressure devices like orifice plates, Venturi meters, and Pitot tubes, as well as thermal mass flow meters, and vortex shedding flow meters. Each method has its unique advantages and suitability depending on the application, accuracy requirements, and flow characteristics.

How does temperature and pressure affect air flow measurements?

Temperature and pressure can significantly impact air flow measurements. Changes in temperature or pressure can alter the density of air, which in turn affects the volume flow rate measured. Accurate measurements often require compensation for these variations to ensure that the flow rate is correctly calculated under varying operational conditions.

What are the challenges in measuring air flow in a pipe?

Challenges in measuring air flow in a pipe include dealing with turbulent flow, maintaining measurement accuracy over a range of flow rates, and the presence of impurities or moisture in the air. Additionally, the installation environment and the physical configuration of the pipe (such as bends, valves, and fittings) can introduce measurement errors.

How can accuracy in air flow measurements be improved?

Accuracy in air flow measurements can be improved by selecting the appropriate measurement technique based on the specific application, ensuring proper installation and calibration of the flow meter, and regularly maintaining and calibrating the equipment. Additionally, compensating for environmental factors like temperature and pressure variations is crucial for improving measurement accuracy.