Verifying Lagrange Equations for Orbit around Massive Body

• Thread starter snoopies622
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Orbit
In summary, the conversation is discussing the use of Lagrange equations for a particle in orbit around a massive body using classical mechanics. The equations presented seem to be credible and represent conservation of angular momentum and net radial force on the particle. The conversation also touches on the difficulties of solving such equations and offers a possible method involving expressing r in terms of theta and using standard methods for solving second-order differential equations.
snoopies622
I am trying out the Lagrange equations for the first time, in this case for a particle in orbit around a massive body using classical mechanics. I come up with

[tex]
2 \dot r \dot \theta + r \ddot \theta = 0[/tex]

[tex]
\ddot r - r \dot \theta ^2 + \frac {GM}{r^2}=0

[/tex]

These seem credible to me but are unfamiliar. Are they correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
OK, I just gave them a second look and now think they are correct. The first one represents conservation of angular momentum (just take the first derivative of [tex]mr^2 \dot \theta[/tex] with respect to time, set it equal to zero then divide both sides by mr), and multiplying the second one by m represents the net radial force on the particle as the difference between the centrifugal force acting on it and the gravitational force.

Just in case anyone was interested...

Last edited:
By the way, how does one go about solving equations like these? I (vaguely) remember learning how to solve 2nd-order differential equations back in college but those were of only one variable. Do I just treat the other one as if it's a constant?

unfortunately, to solve these you have to express r in terms of theta, probably integrate at least once, and do another substitution. Sometimes reformulating the problem in terms of the hamiltonian helps. It definitely is an analytically solvable system though. Off the top of my head the first equation looks right, second one is at least close. If i have time i'll do this tomorrow but I need to find someone to help me with some questions on fluid mechanics first!

also, i should be more clear. there are many more powerful ways to solve 2nd order PDE's, but i think the method I described will work.

sorry,i don't know how to type an equation here,generally AlexGreen was right,in details,as you said,r^2*(dA/dt)=Constant(A is theta),you get dA/dt=C/r^2,you can substitute this to the second equation first,but the essential step is to express dotdot r as:r''=dr'/dA*dA/dt=C/r^2*dr'/dA,similarly, r'=dr/dA*dA/dt=dr/dA*C/r^2=-C*d(1/r)/dA,so r''=-C^2/r^2*(d^2)(1/r)/dA^2,and let u=1/r,put everything in the second equation,you get something like u''+ku=H (k,H are constants,and u'' is the second order derivative with respect to A),then you can solve it by standard method.

Thanks, kof9595995. I get

[tex]

\frac {d^2 u}{d \theta ^2} + u = \frac {GM}{C^2} [/tex]

where

[tex]

C=r^2 \dot \theta [/tex].

which yields - I think -

[tex]

r = \frac {1}{k sin \theta + \frac {GM}{C^2}}

[/tex]

- a conic section, as one would expect. Now, to get [tex] \theta [/tex] in terms of t..

If you want to know how to type an equation, just left-click on it and the details will appear! :smile:

Last edited:

1. What are Lagrange equations used for in orbits around a massive body?

The Lagrange equations are used to describe the motion of a small body orbiting a more massive body, such as a planet orbiting a star. They take into account the gravitational force exerted by the massive body and can be used to predict the position and velocity of the small body at any point in time.

2. How do Lagrange equations differ from Newton's laws of motion?

While Newton's laws of motion describe the overall motion of an object, the Lagrange equations specifically focus on the motion of two objects orbiting each other. They take into account the effects of gravitational forces between the two objects, which is not a factor in Newton's laws.

3. Can Lagrange equations be used for any orbit around a massive body?

Yes, Lagrange equations can be used for any orbit around a massive body, as long as the orbit is stable and the gravitational forces between the two objects can be approximated by a central force. This includes circular, elliptical, and parabolic orbits.

4. How are Lagrange equations verified for orbits around a massive body?

Lagrange equations can be verified by comparing their predictions with actual observations of the orbit. This can include measuring the orbital period, distance from the massive body, and velocity of the orbiting body at different points in time. If the predicted values match the observed values, then the equations are considered to be verified.

5. Are there any limitations to using Lagrange equations for orbits around a massive body?

One limitation of using Lagrange equations is that they assume the orbiting body is much smaller than the massive body, which may not always be the case. They also do not take into account other external forces, such as atmospheric drag, which may affect the motion of the orbiting body. Additionally, they may not accurately predict the motion of an object in an unstable or chaotic orbit.