Equilibrium modelling in kraft mills

In summary, the speaker has been successful in using equilibrium modelling to identify mineral scale deposits in bleach plants of kraft mills. They are now interested in applying the same approach to other areas of the mill where scaling may also be a problem, such as the digester and chemical recovery. However, they are struggling to find studies where this has been done before and are seeking advice and recommendations from others who may have experience in this area. The speaker also mentions potential resistance from employees who may feel threatened by outside experts.
Gollegun
Hi,

I've been working with equilibrium modelling in bleach plants of kraft mills in order to find areas likely of being subjected to mineral scale deposits. This has been rather successful - and it's been done successfully be many people before me.

However, now I am interested in applying similar modelling to other areas of the mill where scaling may also be a problem (e.g. digester and chemical recovery). I'm struggling with finding studies where this has been done, and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with equilibrium modelling in other parts of the mill than the bleach plant? Can this be successfully done or am I wasting my time trying?

I am happy to listen to experience anyone of you may have or studies that you can suggest that I read.

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Gollegun said:
modelling to other areas of the mill where scaling
Should be essentially the same chemistry. Specific studies? I can't help there --- anecdotally, there may be plant areas where employees "protect" folklore and tradition concerning plant operations as a form of job security --- i.e., "Don't want no experts doing us outa our jobs," and that has interfered with some studies of other paper plant operations.

1) What is equilibrium modelling in kraft mills?

Equilibrium modelling in kraft mills is a mathematical approach used to predict the chemical and physical processes that occur during the production of kraft pulp in mills. It involves creating a model that simulates the reactions, mass balances, and heat transfer in the kraft pulping process, and using this model to optimize process conditions and improve efficiency.

2) What are the benefits of using equilibrium modelling in kraft mills?

Equilibrium modelling allows for a better understanding of the complex chemical and physical processes that occur in kraft mills. This can lead to improved process control, increased efficiency, and reduced costs. It also allows for the prediction of potential issues and the development of strategies to mitigate them.

3) How is equilibrium modelling used in kraft mills?

Equilibrium modelling involves collecting data on the composition and properties of the raw materials used in kraft mills, as well as the operating conditions and parameters of the process. This data is then used to create a model that simulates the reactions and processes that occur in the mill. The model can then be used to analyze different scenarios and optimize process conditions.

4) What factors are considered in equilibrium modelling in kraft mills?

Equilibrium modelling takes into account various factors such as temperature, pressure, pH, chemical reactions, mass balances, and heat transfer. It also considers the properties of the raw materials used in the process, such as wood chips and chemicals, and their interactions with each other.

5) How accurate is equilibrium modelling in predicting process outcomes?

The accuracy of equilibrium modelling in predicting process outcomes depends on the quality and quantity of data used to create the model, as well as the complexity of the process being modeled. In general, equilibrium models are a useful tool for understanding and optimizing kraft mill processes, but they should be validated with real-world data to ensure their accuracy.