Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equilibrium modelling in kraft mills

1. Jan 16, 2015 #1
    Hi,

I've been working with equilibrium modelling in bleach plants of kraft mills in order to find areas likely of being subjected to mineral scale deposits. This has been rather successful - and it's been done successfully be many people before me.

However, now I am interested in applying similar modelling to other areas of the mill where scaling may also be a problem (e.g. digester and chemical recovery). I'm struggling with finding studies where this has been done, and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with equilibrium modelling in other parts of the mill than the bleach plant? Can this be successfully done or am I wasting my time trying?

I am happy to listen to experience anyone of you may have or studies that you can suggest that I read.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2015 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Should be essentially the same chemistry. Specific studies? I can't help there --- anecdotally, there may be plant areas where employees "protect" folklore and tradition concerning plant operations as a form of job security --- i.e., "Don't want no experts doing us outa our jobs," and that has interfered with some studies of other paper plant operations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook