1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equilibrium of a constant speed

1. Sep 23, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The model airplane in Figure 5.6 has a mass of 0.90 kg and moves at a constant speed on a circle that is parallel to the ground. The path of the airplane and its guideline lie in the same horizontal plane, because the weight of the plane is balanced by the lift generated by its wings. Length is 17 m. and speeds of 19 and 38.

The toy plane goes around in a circle that is parallel to the ground, at constant speed. Is the plane in equilibrium?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that having a net force of zero or centripetal force of zero allows to be at equilibrium.

The centripetal force is also directed toward the center of the circle and net force is the vector sum of all the force components that point along the radial direction.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2012 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Is the centripetal force 0??

4. Sep 23, 2012 #3
    TO get the centripetal force I used to equation F=(mV)/r

and I got 100 and 201... So it is not in equilibrium ?

5. Sep 24, 2012 #4

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I dont know why you have 2 speeds.....2 different cases? Anyway, if a net force is being applied to an object, can it be in equilibrium? BTW, the centripetal force is mv^2/r, the tension in the cable in this example.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook