Equilibrium Problem: Solve Unknowns w/ Total F & Moment

In summary, the student is trying to solve for the unknowns in terms of the angles and magnitudes of the reaction forces, but they are having trouble. They also mention that the tension force is known, so they only need to solve for the other two unknowns.
jghlee

Homework Statement

The entire problem can be found in this image link.
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/image.php?58acd0e92b.jpg

Homework Equations

Equilibrium so the usual:
Total F = 0, Total moment = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how we're supposed to find out the answer because there seems to be too many unknowns. I'm assuming the rope is an unknown tension force, and we also have 2 unknowns at point a and b.

Physics news on Phys.org
How many unknowns you have got exactly? How many relations do you find among them?

ehild

ehild said:
How many unknowns you have got exactly? How many relations do you find among them?

ehild

so there's the reaction force of point a, reaction force of point b, tension force of the rope, and the 400N force. so a total of 4 unknowns when one known.

Fy = 0 = -400N + Ay + T + By
Fx = 0 = Ax + Bx
M(@ rope) = (-1.2)(Ay) + (1.5)(-400N) + (2.5)(By)

which seems to be unsolvable...

The reaction forces at A and B are assumed to be perpendicular to the respective surfaces, so you can express Ax, Bx, Ay, and By in terms of A and B and the angles (45 degrees and 30 degrees). That will result in only 3 unknowns. With 3 equations, you can solve for the unknowns.

It seems unsolvable if you do not want to solve it.

The 400 N force is known, don't count it as unknown.
You can express the components of the reaction forces with their magnitude and angle. The angles are given, so you need to find only the magnitudes. That is two unknowns. The tension is the third.
You have written the torque with respect to the point where the rope is attached. It is correct, but you know it as the beam is in equilibrium.

M(@ rope) = (-1.2)(Ay) + (1.5)(-400N) + (2.5)(By)=??

ehild

Okay guys, I think I got it...

Here's my work:
Mc = 0 = (1.5m)(-400N) + (2.5)(Bcos30) + (-1.2)(Acos45)
Fy = 0 = (-400) + (Bcos30) + (Acos45) + T
Fx = 0 = (Bsin30) + (Asin45)

A = -152.3355
B = 215.4349
T = 321.15

I can't help but feel like I did wrong cause the answer is so specific but I don't really find anything wrong with the work.

Ax and Ay are opposite: Fx = 0 = (Bsin30) - (Asin45)

ehild

What is an equilibrium problem?

An equilibrium problem is a type of mathematical problem where the goal is to find the unknown values of forces and moments that are in balance or equilibrium. This is often used in physics and engineering to model real-world situations.

How do you solve an equilibrium problem?

To solve an equilibrium problem, you must first identify all the forces and moments acting on the system. Then, you can use the principles of equilibrium, such as Newton's laws of motion, to set up and solve equations for the unknown values. This may involve using free body diagrams and applying the equations for static equilibrium.

What is total force?

Total force, also known as net force, is the sum of all the forces acting on an object. In an equilibrium problem, the total force must be equal to zero in order for the system to be in balance.

What is a moment?

A moment is a measure of the tendency of a force to cause rotation around a specific point or axis. In an equilibrium problem, the sum of all the moments acting on an object must also be equal to zero in order for the system to be in balance.

Why is solving equilibrium problems important?

Solving equilibrium problems allows us to understand and predict the behavior of objects in balance, which is crucial in fields such as physics and engineering. It also helps us analyze and design structures and machines that can withstand external forces and remain stable.