How Do You Calculate Equilibrium Torque for a Supported Girder?

Remember to use the formula for torque, which is force times distance, to solve for the upward force at point A. In summary, The conversation discusses a problem with torque and equilibrium involving a 1000kg steel girder supported by two endpoints. The person is seeking help with solving the problem and is given guidance on how to approach it using the formula for torque.
Ineedofhelp
Im having trouble with torque and equilibrium (independant study unit) and i was wondering if anything woudl be willing to help me with a few textbook problems that i just can't solve:
image of problem : http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=347420
a uniform 1000kg steel girder is supported by the endpoints A and B
What are the upward forces of these end points
Basicaly what i think needs to be done is set up a point of rotation let's say at support B. then the 2 forces of G pushing down have to equal to the force of A pushing up correct?
i just don't rly understand torque that well
For the force of A would it be ?
F x 32m = (9.8 x 1000kg) x 16m ) + (9.8 x 2500kg) x 24m)
16m bieng the distance to the center of the steel girder (Fg) and 24m bieng the distance to the middle of the container (fg)
thanks for the help :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, everything that you've done is correct.

Sure, I'd be happy to help you with your textbook problems on torque and equilibrium. First, let's start with some basic definitions. Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around a fixed point or axis. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance from the point of rotation to the point where the force is applied. In other words, torque = force x distance.

Now, in order to solve the problem you provided, we need to understand the concept of equilibrium. In a system that is in equilibrium, all forces acting on the object must balance out. This means that the sum of all the forces acting on the object must be equal to zero. In other words, the forces pushing down must be balanced by the forces pushing up.

To solve this specific problem, we need to set up a free body diagram, which is a visual representation of all the forces acting on the object. In this case, the girder is in equilibrium, so the sum of all the forces acting on it must be equal to zero. This means that the upward forces at A and B must be equal to the downward forces of the girder's weight (1000kg x 9.8m/s^2) and the weight of the container (2500kg x 9.8m/s^2).

Using the formula for torque, we can calculate the force at A by setting the point of rotation at B. This means that the distance from B to the point where the force is applied is 32m, and the force at A is unknown. So the equation would be: force at A x 32m = (1000kg x 9.8m/s^2) x 16m + (2500kg x 9.8m/s^2) x 24m.

Solving for the force at A, we get a value of 40,000N (Newtons). This means that the force at A must be 40,000N in order for the girder to be in equilibrium.

I hope this explanation helps you understand the concept of torque and equilibrium better. If you have any further questions or need more help with your textbook problems, feel free to reach out to me. Good luck with your studies!

1. What is equilibrium torque?

Equilibrium torque is the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis without any acceleration. It is the balance of forces acting on an object in rotational motion.

2. How do you calculate equilibrium torque?

To calculate equilibrium torque, you need to multiply the force applied to the object by the distance from the pivot point to the point where the force is applied. This distance is known as the lever arm. The formula is T = F x d, where T is torque, F is force, and d is the lever arm.

3. What factors affect equilibrium torque?

The factors that affect equilibrium torque include the magnitude of the force applied, the distance from the pivot point to the point where the force is applied, and the angle at which the force is applied. The mass and distribution of mass of the object can also affect equilibrium torque.

4. How does equilibrium torque relate to rotational motion?

Equilibrium torque is essential in rotational motion because it is the force that maintains the object's balance and prevents it from accelerating. It is also used to calculate the angular acceleration of an object.

5. How can you achieve equilibrium torque?

To achieve equilibrium torque, the sum of all the forces acting on an object in rotational motion must be equal to zero. This means that the clockwise and counterclockwise forces must be balanced, and the object will remain in a state of equilibrium.