Solve Forearm Equilibrium: Calculate Force Held by Biceps

In summary: So the final answer would be the sum of the torques from the ball, the arm, and the weight of the arm, all equalling 0. In summary, to find the force the biceps must exert to hold a 540.0 g ball with the forearm parallel to the floor, you must consider the torques from the ball, the arm, and the weight of the arm, all equalling 0.
Tina20

Homework Statement

A forearm can be modeled as a 1.36 kg, 32.8 cm long "beam" (denoted by l) that pivots at the elbow which has a width of 2.26 cm (denoted by w) and is supported by the biceps. How much force must the biceps exert to hold a 540.0 g ball with the forearm parallel to the floor?

The diagram is similar to the one below except that the values on the diagram are not the values pertaining to this question. Use the values stated in the above question. The link below is just a reference as to what the diagram should look like
http://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1013607/12/jfk.Figure.P08.37.jpg

Homework Equations

Torque = I*alpha
where I is moment of inertia and alpha is angular acceleration

Net torque = 0
Fnet = 0 because the arm is in static equilibrium

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to go about this.
Torque = Ia = 0
Torque = r*F
= 0.0226m *F

Tgravity = Mgx
where M = total mass
g = 9.8
x = distance of centre of mass to axis

Any ideas as to how to solve this? I need to complete it by tonight, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org

You must first find the torques of the known force on the ball and on the arm around the elbow. The torque from the biceps must make the net torque 0.

Ok,

so Torque of arm = Torque of ball?
r*F = r*F
(0.0226)*F = (0.3054)(9.8)(0.540kg)
F = 71.5N ?

That force is wrong according to the computer. I may have equated it wrong? Any hints you could please give, because I am completely confused.

Tina

Tina20 said:
Ok,

so Torque of arm = Torque of ball?
r*F = r*F
(0.0226)*F = (0.3054)(9.8)(0.540kg)
F = 71.5N ?

That force is wrong according to the computer. I may have equated it wrong? Any hints you could please give, because I am completely confused.

Tina

There's also the torque from the weight of the arm itself

I would approach this problem by first identifying the key variables and principles involved. In this case, we are dealing with a static equilibrium situation, where the forces acting on the forearm must balance out in order for it to remain still. The key variables are the mass and length of the forearm, the width of the elbow, and the mass of the ball being held. The key principles involved are torque and moment of inertia.

To solve for the force exerted by the biceps, we can use the equation for torque, which is equal to the product of the force and the distance from the pivot point. In this case, the pivot point is the elbow and the distance from the pivot point to the center of mass of the forearm is half of its length, or 16.4 cm.

Using the net torque equation, we know that the torque due to the force exerted by the biceps must be equal and opposite to the torque due to the weight of the ball. This gives us the equation:

Fb * 16.4 cm = (0.54 kg * 9.8 m/s^2) * 16.4 cm

Solving for Fb, we get:

Fb = (0.54 kg * 9.8 m/s^2) * 16.4 cm / 16.4 cm

Fb = 5.29 N

Therefore, the biceps must exert a force of 5.29 N to hold the 540 g ball with the forearm parallel to the floor. It is important to note that this is a simplified model and does not take into account the actual biomechanics and muscle activation involved in holding an object. However, it provides a basic understanding of the forces involved in this scenario.

1. What is forearm equilibrium?

Forearm equilibrium refers to the balance of forces between the biceps muscle and the weight being held in the hand. This balance allows for the forearm to maintain a stable position and prevent the weight from dropping or rising.

2. What factors influence forearm equilibrium?

The main factors that influence forearm equilibrium include the weight being held, the length of the forearm, the angle of the elbow joint, and the strength of the biceps muscle.

3. How do you calculate the force held by the biceps?

The force held by the biceps can be calculated using the formula F = (M x g x L)/d, where F is the force held by the biceps, M is the mass of the weight being held, g is the gravitational constant (9.8 m/s^2), L is the length of the forearm, and d is the distance from the elbow joint to the weight being held.

4. Why is it important to maintain forearm equilibrium?

Maintaining forearm equilibrium is important to prevent strain and injury to the muscles and joints of the forearm. It also allows for efficient movement and control of the weight being held.

5. How can forearm equilibrium be improved?

Forearm equilibrium can be improved by strengthening the biceps muscle through exercises such as bicep curls and by maintaining proper form and posture while lifting weights. Stretching and proper warm-up can also help prevent strain and improve forearm equilibrium.